TV - Additional Speakers/BlueTooth

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopCat

Striker
After some advice from the wise old SMB

My missus' grandparents have just bought a new TV, replacing their ancient set. Problem is that the new TV is not compatible with some weird setup her Granny has with an extra speaker next to her that tunes into her hearing aid.

So, am thinking some additional speakers, placed near her seat might be the answer. It's a new TV so has Bluetooth, but as they are in the dark ages and don't have the internet, wireless is not an option.

Can anyone recommend some auxiliary speakers (apropos achieving surround sound) that will enhance (not replace) the sound coming from the tv? Need the normal sound to come out of the tv speakers, but also from the new speakers placed near her granny (so her Gramps can also watch TV)

Ta

What’s the weird setup? May be a way to get it to work.
It has an old connector (circular lead with one long flat pin and one short thin pin) that fits into the back of their ancient TV. Was really just looking for some sort of surround sound option so that both of them can hear the TV

It has an old connector (circular lead with one long flat pin and one short thin pin) that fits into the back of their ancient TV. Was really just looking for some sort of surround sound option so that both of them can hear the TV

Wires ok to run around room? As most (cheap) options are wired rear speakers. If wires arent an issue literally go with any cheap kit mate, dont need to spend loads. Any of the ones from Asda, Argos etc etc.. Dont spend loads.

Wires ok to run around room? As most (cheap) options are wired rear speakers. If wires arent an issue literally go with any cheap kit mate, dont need to spend loads. Any of the ones from Asda, Argos etc etc.. Dont spend loads.
Just established that the current set up has speakers with a 2 pin DIN connection. Currently looking for a converter that will connect to 3.5 Jack or RCA connections.

Just established that the current set up has speakers with a 2 pin DIN connection. Currently looking for a converter that will connect to 3.5 Jack or RCA connections.

You will get them anywhere mate. Amazon for online, or Maplin or Lindy if you want to pickup. Lindy are excellent!

Depends on the TV, some allow both.
Worth checking though. Might also be worth finding out a bit about the speaker - if it has one of those induction loops for a hearing aid then it might be a bit trickier than just getting a surround sound system (not to mention you'll only get the 'rear' sound balance.)

Worth checking though. Might also be worth finding out a bit about the speaker - if it has one of those induction loops for a hearing aid then it might be a bit trickier than just getting a surround sound system (not to mention you'll only get the 'rear' sound balance.)
Apparently, the sound only comes out of the one (external speaker as it is) and there is no induction loop set up (even though that would be easier). She basically has a speaker behind her so she can hear the TV. I'm trying to replicate that without having to install new speakers etc.

Ideal scenario - find a converter that allows me to attach the DIN 2-Pin to the new tv
Next Best - find a bluetooth speaker that will connect to the TV and be placed where she likes (not sure I trust them should the speaker be "unpaired" at any point)
Third Scenario - buy Home Entertainment System will (presumably wired) multi-speakers and distribute them around the room and have the fuck on of hiding the wires

I would go bluetooth, but why not just cut off the old connector and put a phono on?
If you don't like wiring the connector itself, get a cheap phono lead and cut them both and join the two wires.

I would go bluetooth, but why not just cut off the old connector and put a phono on?
If you don't like wiring the connector itself, get a cheap phono lead and cut them both and join the two wires.
Cheers, I did wonder whether that could be an option. Might call that scenario 4.......... to be honest I don't know why I have to fuck about doing this when their (very rich) daughter and son-in-law (who is an engineer by trade) could probably sort it in 5 mins flat. Not like I have a full time job to hold down or anything...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back