Tunisia massacre

I don't think the Foreign Office provided a travel warning until after the incident, hard to see how the travel company could be expected to know more than the government ministry.
That's good point. The travel companies are guided by the FO's advice. It should also be noted that after the tragedy TUI went above nd beyond was expected to look after the victims and families.

But there is a but.......

Last edited:

It's got nothing to do with the travel companies..the people who went there travelled of their own free will..tragic what happened but it can happen anywhere..London, Paris, Manchester..there's a lot of people where I work being going back to Turkey..lovely beaches, great weather..i know the likelihood is nothing will happen but why slightly increase the risk.

Well the hotel was owned by Riu who are owned by Tui. The hotel hired the security nd it seems the security bottled it. Does that make a difference ?

Well the hotel was owned by Riu who are owned by Tui. The hotel hired the security nd it seems the security bottled it. Does that make a difference ?
That was my thoughts. The hotel had a contingency in place - they did all they reasonably could.

It'll depend on what level of security they were meant to provide.

If I was a hotelier in the budget end of the market for British tourists, I'd be employing security to protect the hotel from the guests (and each other).

Nothing to do with TUI tbh.

Agreed, TUI can't be blamed for an unforseen attack by nutters with an extremist interpretation of Islam.

That said, Tony Blair might be an option for giving the nutters an excuse due to his participation in the Second Iraq War.

It'll depend on what level of security they were meant to provide.

If I was a hotelier in the budget end of the market for British tourists, I'd be employing security to protect the hotel from the guests (and each other).

Although a budget country it isn't a budget hotel as such. It's a Palace which is at the top end of the Riu chain. We stayed in the hotel next door and had a walk through the lobby one day and it was luxury compared to ours (also riu)

For the record we stayed there 10 years ago, so before the Arab Spring and I felt uneasy everytime we left the hotel. Certainly not a country I wanted to visit again

We travelled to the same resort 6 months earlier ,next Hotel down they were on high alert then also , we had guards patrolling beach and front off Hotel ,, scary place to be ,family wouldn't go into PEK on nightime

I was thinking the same. I wouldn't take my family to Tunisia for a holiday but money speaks and some folk would same with Egypt. But then..
I went to Morocco many years ago and had a fantastic time.Played footy with the locals in a park ( even got called Bobby Charlton ..shows how long ago it was)Religion reallly didnt come into things at all.
Great people i thought ...sadly would i go there now or be happy if extended family did...no...which is a real shame as the ones who really suffer are the local people who maybe rely on tourism for jobs.

Back