Trying to find a job

Since April I must have applied for over 100 jobs now. Some away from the region, some with agencies, I am still getting rejected for everything. Not even one interview :lol:

Must admit it’s starting to get desperate now. I refuse to return to the energy company I left a year ago but it may be the only option soon
Is it an office job you want?

Get some CVs printed.
Get your suit and tie on.
Start knocking on doors of companies.

It's amazing how many companies could do with someone but have yet to get round to advertising.

I used to work at Rainton for six year - left as I wasn’t getting anywhere in the company. Was a great place to work and could make money doing OT but that eventually dried up.

I left to do my PGCE but bit off more than I could chew and found the workload too much for me (the bairns mam is a student nurse) and we decided that one of us would have to leave. I left as I thought she needs to make it as a nurse more than I do as a teacher.

I thought I would walk into another job with my CV and a PG certification (left before getting QTS) but I can’t even get an interview.

I’d like to think my CV is up to scratch - But what is frustrating is spending hours typing up individual job applications, writing out answers to competency questions (I’ve just saved them all on a word doc and copy/paste/amend accordingly) and you get nowhere

My wife is having similar problems finding teaching work after doing her PGCE...however she wants to teach secondary / further ed / psychology / criminology. Sbe has her QTLS though and perhaps you need to finish your QTS if you can.
I rake it you are registered vwith the local teaching agencies ?

I was unemployed from February until about two weeks ago. Not through choice either. Applied for hundreds of jobs over the past few months with very little success.

Hear back from agencies but they just fuck you about and a lot want you to do a week long course beforehand then often nothing comes from it.

It’s a piss take but I was eventually successful in getting a weekend job. Not what I really wanted but it’s 12 pound an hour and eventually there should be full time opportunities.

My advice would be to avoid agencies and if any good opportunities come up that’s part time just take it as sometimes it’s a foot in the door and if not it’s better than the dole.

It’s a pain in the arse but make sure your cv is tip top and put the time and effort into any cover letters to emphasise any relevant experience or quals to roles you’re applying for. Even if it’s just a call centre job, a bit effort on a cover letter goes a long way to some employers.

Make sure you diversify with the job websites too as not every job is advertised on every one too. Makes sure you check them all. Use LinkedIn etc.

The job centre can organise free forklift courses, cv updating, they can even put people into factories like unipres if you haven’t worked there before.

Just keep plodding on mate, you will get there eventually.

Do the jobcentre still run courses to get people into Nissan?

There's absolutely shitloads of work out there.

Aye I know. But it's not always easy. I got my job 13 year ago and it was as simple as sending a CV. They rang. Interview and I got it. Now it's all kinds of interviews.

Although to an extent some people are way too picky with finding a job.

Aye I know. But it's not always easy. I got my job 13 year ago and it was as simple as sending a CV. They rang. Interview and I got it. Now it's all kinds of interviews.

Although to an extent some people are way too picky with finding a job.

Which backs up my original comment.

& finding a job isn't hard. If you're willing to work at anything at all.

Not taking the piss, as its shit being dismissed by insular morons without much real-life experience but you could them you're a trans/non-binary entity on your CV. You seem like an empathetic person, the way you supported your better half, have you considered counselling? Giving not receiving. The way mental health issues are being highlighted there's gonna be more need. But it would be canny traumatic I imagine.
Have you considered working in FE? Dunno your subject but they'd probs pay for you to finish your PGCE as well.

Last edited:
I've turned down jobs since I finished my last. Haven't applied for any though. I'm not even on LinkedIn.

What I mean is sometimes it's just bad luck, you'll probably end to with two offers at the same time.

Agencies are a disgrace they’re good at first then you never hear from them once they’ve had their payment for you. I work for a big IT company and the agency to permanent ratio is probably 50/50, maybe more agency people.

Back