Truth About Global Warming

While this is true, my schoolboy memories of Geography lessons told me that areas usually had one direction that was far more common than others. A "prevailing wind". There was also something about oxbow lakes mentioned
My post graduate studies of meteorology and climatology memories tell me Surrey's location dictates theres not a massive difference in wind direction due to the movement of the jet stream :lol: .

The prevailing wind in the UK is westerly from the Atlantic.
Ban the civilian use of fossil fuels outright along with anything that uses non-renewable resources in the manufacturing process, like plastics.
Ban the use of anything that isn't biodegradable.
Install giant water pumps in the oceans to keep the currents flowing in the right ways to keep the right bits cool.
Install a giant farm of solar panels in the Sahara desert to supply clean and cheap energy to the entire planet.
Annex South America, transport the entire population to other continents, and allow it to become a giant nature preserve.
Remove Trump and his failed clone Boris from power and force them to live on a small remote island together for the rest of their lives, televised for the rest of us to watch their exploits trying to survive on what they can hunt or gather.

Not sure how much that last one would help the environment (although Trump did remove the US from the Paris accord, so...) but I'd find it entertaining.
:lol:
My opinion of these is they are mostly bullshit. Take for example the last one you posted "Those dafties at nasa say global warming not melting the ice", it is a flat out lie.

What leads me to this stunning conclusion? Here you go:
  • The First thing you will notice about that blog post is that it doesn't exist, as Forbes says in big letters "This post has been removed for failing to meet our editorial standards". Did you bother to read the article?
  • NASA do not say any such thing, they in fact say the exact opposite, Antarctica is losing 127,000,000,000 tonnes of ice every year, Greenland is losing 286,000,000,000 tonnes (source: NASA)
  • The author of the post was James Taylor from the Spark of Freedom Foundation and the Heartlands Institute. Both organisations are funded by the fossil fuel industry to spread anti-climate change propaganda.
People who post articles like that are either liars or ignorant.
Liars or ignorant.
Are you an expert on the subject to make these sweeping judgments?

Last edited:

My post graduate studies of meteorology and climatology memories tell me Surrey's location dictates theres not a massive difference in wind direction due to the movement of the jet stream :lol: .

I will take your word on it then.

Climate change does seem to be happening and im not entirely sure how any one can deny it. Even in my lifetime we have gone from consistent hard icy winters to wet winters and occasionally something like the "beast from the east" where we get a cold snap for a few days.

How much impact comes from planes and cars and the like I am not in a position to know... but i suspect its more significant than most would like to admit.
But like all things when it comes to the environment, the causes only matter if money can be made or saved by changing them.

Liars or ignorant.
Are you an expert on the subject to make these sweeping judgments?

You don't need to be an expert when someone posts a blog saying that "Nasa data shows Arctic Ice isn't shrinking". You only have to check NASA's data and their statements on the subject which in this case show that Arctic ice is disappearing at a rate of gigatonnes a year.

Personally if NASA say something is happening I'm going to trust that until a credible alternative is published. By credible I don't mean some bloke who gets paid by fossil fuel and tobacco companies to peddle lies.

Are you suggesting that NASA are incorrect?

No entiendo señor? Hay problema?
:lol:

Wow. Look at you being all bilingual. Sorry, sir, I don't speak Spanish. I took Italian in High School but never practiced it so don't remember much. Also took some French, but same was with my Italian. And I understand Tagalog but I don't speak it.

FFS man, cannot do wrong for doing right

Dirty secret

But leaks of the little-known gas in the UK and the rest of the EU in 2017 were the equivalent of putting an extra 1.3 million cars on the road.

Last edited:
about:blank#blocked

What's it about?
It's the most powerful greenhouse gas known to humanity, and emissions have risen rapidly in recent years, the BBC has learned.

Sulphur hexafluoride, or SF6, is widely used in the electrical industry to prevent short circuits and accidents.

But leaks of the little-known gas in the UK and the rest of the EU in 2017 were the equivalent of putting an extra 1.3 million cars on the road.

Levels are rising as an unintended consequence of the green energy boom.

Cheap and non-flammable, SF6 is a colourless, odourless, synthetic gas. It makes a hugely effective insulating material for medium and high-voltage electrical installations.

It is widely used across the industry, from large power stations to wind turbines to electrical sub-stations in towns and cities. It prevents electrical accidents and fires.

However, the significant downside to using the gas is that it has the highest global warming potential of any known substance. It is 23,500 times more warming than carbon dioxide (CO2).

Just one kilogram of SF6 warms the Earth to the same extent as 24 people flying London to New York return.

It also persists in the atmosphere for a long time, warming the Earth for at least 1,000 years.

So why are we using more of this powerful warming gas?
The way we make electricity around the world is changing rapidly.

Where once large coal-fired power stations brought energy to millions, the drive to combat climate change means they are now being replaced by mixed sources of power including wind, solar and gas.

This has resulted in many more connections to the electricity grid, and a rise in the number of electrical switches and circuit breakers that are needed to prevent serious accidents.

Collectively, these safety devices are called switchgear. The vast majority use SF6 gas to quench arcs and stop short circuits.

Last edited:
It's the most powerful greenhouse gas known to humanity, and emissions have risen rapidly in recent years, the BBC has learned.

Sulphur hexafluoride, or SF6, is widely used in the electrical industry to prevent short circuits and accidents.

Levels are rising as an unintended consequence of the green energy boom.

Cheap and non-flammable, SF6 is a colourless, odourless, synthetic gas. It makes a hugely effective insulating material for medium and high-voltage electrical installations.

It is widely used across the industry, from large power stations to wind turbines to electrical sub-stations in towns and cities. It prevents electrical accidents and fires.

However, the significant downside to using the gas is that it has the highest global warming potential of any known substance. It is 23,500 times more warming than carbon dioxide (CO2).

Just one kilogram of SF6 warms the Earth to the same extent as 24 people flying London to New York return.

It also persists in the atmosphere for a long time, warming the Earth for at least 1,000 years.

So why are we using more of this powerful warming gas?
The way we make electricity around the world is changing rapidly.

Where once large coal-fired power stations brought energy to millions, the drive to combat climate change means they are now being replaced by mixed sources of power including wind, solar and gas.

This has resulted in many more connections to the electricity grid, and a rise in the number of electrical switches and circuit breakers that are needed to prevent serious accidents.

Collectively, these safety devices are called switchgear. The vast majority use SF6 gas to quench arcs and stop short circuits.
oh well hopefully people can find the hidden alien technology in area 51 next weekend.
Sulphur hexafluoride, or SF6, is widely used in the electrical industry to prevent short circuits and accidents
Sounds like some people have been watching too many Steve Guttenberg movies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will take your word on it then.

Climate change does seem to be happening and im not entirely sure how any one can deny it. Even in my lifetime we have gone from consistent hard icy winters to wet winters and occasionally something like the "beast from the east" where we get a cold snap for a few days.

How much impact comes from planes and cars and the like I am not in a position to know... but i suspect its more significant than most would like to admit.
But like all things when it comes to the environment, the causes only matter if money can be made or saved by changing them.
No one can deny climate
You don't need to be an expert when someone posts a blog saying that "Nasa data shows Arctic Ice isn't shrinking". You only have to check NASA's data and their statements on the subject which in this case show that Arctic ice is disappearing at a rate of gigatonnes a year.

Personally if NASA say something is happening I'm going to trust that until a credible alternative is published. By credible I don't mean some bloke who gets paid by fossil fuel and tobacco companies to peddle lies.

Are you suggesting that NASA are incorrect?
Like all others in the industry they have an agenda. Everyone is funded by someone or something.

Back