Truly dreadful English cricketers of the 21st century

Darren Pattinson might be worth a mention. Capped by England after about half a dozen or so FC matches and bowled a charitable spell before never playing again for England and having a fairly short FC career.
Darren played club cricket for us a few years before he played County Cricket. He is a good lad and he had been around the Test squad for several weeks at Loughborough, before the Headingley game, so they all knew him. After playing at Headingley he was asked if he would tour with England B in the winter. He was already playing for Victoria in the Sheffield Shield so could not tour and played for them for a few years iirc.

Incidentally he only played because a previously selected player had turned up with a slight chill so could not play. No wait that is not correct - he was pissed.

Last edited:

Tbf he is spectacular in white ball, arguably the best we've ever had.

Nowhere near in Tests though (albeit despite Chunks wind up should be nowhere near this thread)
Well yeah like I said 4 out of the 7 fastest hundreds ever scored by a England player in ODi must put him up there.

And yeah like you say despite the wind up he is right in the fact he has not transferred that to test cricket which is a shame.

As he is imo one of the most naturally gifted players I have ever seen in a England shirt.

Well yeah like I said 4 out of the 7 fastest hundreds ever scored by a England player in ODi must put him up there.

And yeah like you say despite the wind up he is right in the fact he has not transferred that to test cricket which is a shame.

As he is imo one of the most naturally gifted players I have ever seen in a England shirt.
Don't disagree with any of that mate.

I still feel he's a waste of a shirt in the Test side, but one of the best white ball cricketers ever IMO

Posted on here before - lovely, lovely bloke but one of the worst signings we've made since I became a member (2007). Terrible
But for his performances in the RLC against weakened sides I'd say the same about his current stint at Durham.

Some people get triggered if you say that though, him being a massive lads fan and all that.

Last edited:
But for his performances in the RLC against weakened sides I'd say the same for his current stint at Durham.
Had the pleasure of his company a few times, and there's not many people I'd rather see succeed more than Badger. But Christ, he was awful for us 90% of the time

Had the pleasure of his company a few times, and there's not many people I'd rather see succeed more than Badger. But Christ, he was awful for us 90% of the time
I'd love to know what you did to him. Is the real Scott Borthwick chained to a radiator somewhere?

Back