Travel/Blogs Websites and Dishonest Recommendations and Use of Images

L

Lexingtongue

Just stumbled across a Twitter post from Wanderlust magazine in which the editor recommended a trip to Hsinbyume pagoda near Mandalay in Myanmar. This is the article, fourth recommendation down. The picture they use is the one below, which actually makes it look quite attractive:

Logon or register to see this image

I was unfortunate enough to love in Mandalay for 8 months and visited the place. This is a picture I took when I was there:

Some obvious differences, no? When I saw the picture they used I was a bit taken aback. Obviously very heavily edited and quite dishonest. How can companies and travel bloggers be so disingenuous about things which could cost people so much money? Pretty shocking in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

I was unfortunate enough to love in Mandalay for 8 months and visited. This is a picture I took when I was there:

Some obvious differences, no? When I saw the picture they used I was a bit taken aback. Obviously very heavily edited and quite dishonest. How can companies and travel bloggers be so disingenuous about things which could cost people so much money? Pretty shocking in my opinion.

😯 DAST

Does anyone have a doctored humblebrag picture I can use? ;)
You know that film Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? I wish the machine existed. Living in Myanmar nowt worth bragging about and actually affected my mental health in an incredibly damaging way. Not sure if that counts as a bite or not, as I know we've been down this road a fair few times.

You know that film Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? I wish the machine existed. Living in Myanmar nowt worth bragging about and actually affected my mental health in an incredibly damaging way. Not sure if that counts as a bite or not, as I know we've been down this road a fair few times.
:lol: :lol: sorry

edit: read it properly. Actually truly sorry for the mental health bit

A lad i work with does photography on the side. Literally spends hours on photoshop for each photo and video he sticks on Insta, a lot of them are several images put together, heavily edited, colours changed, etc.

A lad i work with does photography on the side. Literally spends hours on photoshop for each photo and video he sticks on Insta, a lot of them are several images put together, heavily edited, colours changed, etc.
Almost certain those monks are edited in as well as it would be incredibly disrespectful of them in their culture to be clambering all over that ramshackle monument.

The travel site is basically selling a mistruth using that fake image. I regretted the hour long trip over the river to it, never mind flying to Myanmar on the say so of some lying idiot. :lol: Pretty shocking, in truth. I honestly wouldn't wish that country on my worst enemy.

As for 'Insta', I could tell you a story about the models/influencers and how they edit their images but chunky would definitely be right to call that story humblerag. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never ever had a Big Mac that looks like the one on the menu display above counter either.

Glamming up to sell summat has been going on for yonks.
I understand that, but a Big Mac is a smaller outlay than a flight to South East Asia...

It’s the sort of thing that’s done the world over from burgers, hotels and restaurants to art, castles and world heritage sites.

It’s the sort of thing that’s done the world over from burgers, hotels and restaurants to art, castles and world heritage sites.
Can you imagine seeing the actual place after having seen the doctored image? :lol: I'd be f***ing devastated!

Back