Transforming Sunderland's Fortunes

Is the Software Centre acting as an Incubator or as permanent office accommodation......or both?

If former then it's no surprise that the place is not 100% occupied. Does the council have any dibs on any IP produced?

So every other town and city build offices? So what's gonna make all the businesses that don't exist in today's current economic situation come to Sunderland. When myself, Paul Watson and the Tory councillor for Sunderland are telling you the most up to date software building in the country and it's top of the it tech league for attracting new it companies is not even half full? And cost Sunderland tax payers £250,000 per annum? A reasonable explanation will do pal.

People answer your questions, as I've done myself, but you're not really interested in the replies.

People answer your questions, as I've done myself, but you're not really interested in the replies.
I don't. I'm just a realist mate. Not a dreamer. I've just watched a piece on newcastle and there cut backs. Some bloke said why don't the council use the vast amount of wealth in reserve to see us through austerity instead of using it as an excuse to cut services and much needed welfare. Common sense id say.
All councils are the same I know that, but what I can't understand is how can the council keep propping up the failed ventures around the city meanwhile we all suffer. Paying more to get rid of house hold rubbish i.e. Garden waste, a rise in council tax and cuts on public services. Oap homes, social services, public transport, and all I get back is. Nowt to do with council, moaner, arrogant, I know nowt. Look to the future.
Well unfortunately there is families in Sunderland who need the services that have been cut, not in the future or from the latest IT Building but now! The things that you and the council lovees are promoting and supporting should of been done during times of wealth and prosperity but no that went in the bank paddy. And it's still there.

I don't. I'm just a realist mate. Not a dreamer. I've just watched a piece on newcastle and there cut backs. Some bloke said why don't the council use the vast amount of wealth in reserve to see us through austerity instead of using it as an excuse to cut services and much needed welfare. Common sense id say.
All councils are the same I know that, but what I can't understand is how can the council keep propping up the failed ventures around the city meanwhile we all suffer. Paying more to get rid of house hold rubbish i.e. Garden waste, a rise in council tax and cuts on public services. Oap homes, social services, public transport, and all I get back is. Nowt to do with council, moaner, arrogant, I know nowt. Look to the future.
Well unfortunately there is families in Sunderland who need the services that have been cut, not in the future or from the latest IT Building but now! The things that you and the council lovees are promoting and supporting should of been done during times of wealth and prosperity but no that went in the bank paddy. And it's still there.

You do know the council have to keep a stash of reserves to cover risks and liabilities as laid down by auditors? And if they have too much the government will take it back off them? Soundbites from a bloke in Eldon Square on the news and in the comments page of the Echo are more often than not made on the basis of uneducated ignorance.

You do know the council have to keep a stash of reserves to cover risks and liabilities as laid down by auditors? And if they have too much the government will take it back off them? Soundbites from a bloke in Eldon Square on the news and in the comments page of the Echo are more often than not made on the basis of uneducated ignorance.
He was an opposition councillor I think (and a priest). A bloody man of the cloth paddy!
What will happen will. Am not here to fall out with a fellow pennywell lad. Not in my personality

Ok ok mate. Let's say your right. Ok?
What your saying is 55% of the available office space in Sunderland is took up by Sunderland council. So Sunderland council employ 55% of the office staff in Sunderland? Am lost mate. He's saying it will work eventually like the one at raintin meadows but is admitting it's empty. And the council have moved offices in there. Away now ya having a nightmare. I knew you would pull the article to bits but not in this way.

The council havent moved in there. Not sure what you're babbling on about.
You're read it one way, i another.

You state it costing the tax payer £250k a year. Thats the average over the previous 4 less 1 years. Each year the shortfall getting smaller. The article claims rainton bridge is making money. Both buildings are part of the 'software city' programme. So its a fair to say long term it should get there.

Local rags are nortorious for poor journalism. The echo on a number of occasions have got things wrong. I remember them reporting that the council ceo's basic salary was £200k+ despite the councils own website declaring it at £175k.

Until i see what services are based there, i remain sceptical of your claims.

The council havent moved in there. Not sure what you're babbling on about.
You're read it one way, i another.

You state it costing the tax payer £250k a year. Thats the average over the previous 4 less 1 years. Each year the shortfall getting smaller. The article claims rainton bridge is making money. Both buildings are part of the 'software city' programme. So its a fair to say long term it should get there.

Local rags are nortorious for poor journalism. The echo on a number of occasions have got things wrong. I remember them reporting that the council ceo's basic salary was £200k+ despite the councils own website declaring it at £175k.

Until i see what services are based there, i remain sceptical of your claims.
Erm. Not my claims.

There is still a lot of waste in councils
Why do the council need tone replacing that kerb along the greyhound stadium road
How much is that costing and the amount of people who use that path is minimal
I would like to know how much a year is spend on road signs, traffic lights, parking machines for unnecessary parking bays

As someone touched on before and I mentioned in a post a couple of months ago (and got slaughtered for by some) parking costs is major disincentive for people coming into town centres
The council show no imagination compared to our friends up the road and there 5 alive campaign
Why charge for parking on the vaux site on
I can never understand why town centre parking is charged but Washington galleries is free.

So every other town and city build offices? So what's gonna make all the businesses that don't exist in today's current economic situation come to Sunderland. When myself, Paul Watson and the Tory councillor for Sunderland are telling you the most up to date software building in the country and it's top of the it tech league for attracting new it companies is not even half full? And cost Sunderland tax payers £250,000 per annum? A reasonable explanation will do pal.

Chicken and egg marra

Can't attract a company if they've got no where to go. The second part after building the infrastructure is to keep it occupied. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with Sunderland thatt we cant compete commercially with other north east cities and towns.

Last edited:

Its not common sense. Every politian in opposition makes this claim, and everyone one of them know the crack & are usinging to play party politics.

David Cameron wrote to his local council opposing his own cuts & what he suggested was illegal.

Councils arent allowed to use reserves to prop up services. And if you think about it, it makes sense. As all you're doing is delaying the inevetable. You end up back at square one but with no money in the pot.

Reserves are only meant to be used for service transformation. Ie to reform the service in a more efficient & cost efective way. And yes that generally means reduction in service.

Going back to the software centre, its government policy to make councils self funding. Eric Pickles described it as stopping the begging bowl mentality.

Part of this is business rates retention. So it incentivises council to try and grow business to increase their business rates and in turn more jobs mean more people living there meaning more council tax etc.
Its a case of speculate to accumulate.

There is still a lot of waste in councils
Why do the council need tone replacing that kerb along the greyhound stadium road
How much is that costing and the amount of people who use that path is minimal
I would like to know how much a year is spend on road signs, traffic lights, parking machines for unnecessary parking bays

As someone touched on before and I mentioned in a post a couple of months ago (and got slaughtered for by some) parking costs is major disincentive for people coming into town centres
The council show no imagination compared to our friends up the road and there 5 alive campaign
Why charge for parking on the vaux site on
I can never understand why town centre parking is charged but Washington galleries is free.

Theres free parking after 3 on a thursday & sunday is free in the smaller carparks and cheaper in the main ones.

If parking was free accross the board, where would the shoppers park? As all the parking spaces would be taken by the workers.

I do think more could be done on weekend and early evenings, but a flat out free parking is a no goer.

Last edited:
Its not common sense. Every politian in opposition makes this claim, and everyone one of them know the crack & are usinging to play party politics.

David Cameron wrote to his local council opposing his own cuts & what he suggested was illegal.

Councils arent allowed to use reserves to prop up services. And if you think about it, it makes sense. As all you're doing is delaying the inevetable. You end up back at square one but with no money in the pot.

Reserves are only meant to be used for service transformation. Ie to reform the service in a more efficient & cost efective way. And yes that generally means reduction in service.

Going back to the software centre, its government policy to make councils self funding. Eric Pickles described it as stopping the begging bowl mentality.

Part of this is business rates retention. So it incentivises council to try and grow business to increase their business rates and in turn more jobs mean more people living there meaning more council tax etc.
Its a case of speculate to accumulate.

Theres free parking after 3 on a thursday & sunday is free in the smaller carparks and cheaper in the main ones.

If parking was free accross the board, where would the shoppers park? As all the parking spaces would be taken by the workers.

I do think more could be done on weekend and early evenings, but a flat out free parking is a no goer.
I'm not saying free parking per se but again don't see the problem even if it's for 4 hours of before 10 and after 3
Why parking charges are from 8 until 6 is another stupid idea
But there could be better and more imagintive incentives regarding parking rather then the sledge hammer and over zealous traffic warden and permit approach
Council,is cutting its own throat re parking and town centre when people will go to galleries, dalton park and metro centre ( why when petrol costs probably out weight any saving plus there's nowt there apart from house of Fraser A)

I'm not saying free parking per se but again don't see the problem even if it's for 4 hours of before 10 and after 3
Why parking charges are from 8 until 6 is another stupid idea
But there could be better and more imagintive incentives regarding parking rather then the sledge hammer and over zealous traffic warden and permit approach
Council,is cutting its own throat re parking and town centre when people will go to galleries, dalton park and metro centre ( why when petrol costs probably out weight any saving plus there's nowt there apart from house of Fraser A)

I actually agree. Although feel many of the public are being short sighted. Dalton park is shite & metro is a pain in the arse but they feel they're getting VFM cos parking is free.

I actually agree. Although feel many of the public are being short sighted. Dalton park is shite & metro is a pain in the arse but they feel they're getting VFM cos parking is free.
Yeah it's the free parking. That's it nowt else. Do you two realise what yous are saying? Honestly. Is this a wind up?
It is ain't it?

Yeah it's the free parking. That's it nowt else. Do you two realise what yous are saying? Honestly. Is this a wind up?
It is ain't it?

What are you rambling on about now?
In most things in life there are pros & cons. Yes the metro has better shops but its also costs just as much to get to than park in the town. Its also a right pain in the arse to get to & park, A1 traffic etc.

Newcastle has better shops but again traffic and parking is horrendous if you dont live close to a metro stop.

Many people who go there all the time do cite the free parking as a reason. Its self perpepuating.
Dalton Park is just shit full stop. But quite a few go there. If parking wasnt free it'd be dead.

What are you rambling on about now?
In most things in life there are pros & cons. Yes the metro has better shops but its also costs just as much to get to than park in the town. Its also a right pain in the arse to get to & park, A1 traffic etc.

Newcastle has better shops but again traffic and parking is horrendous if you dont live close to a metro stop.

Many people who go there all the time do cite the free parking as a reason. Its self perpepuating.
Dalton Park is just shit full stop. But quite a few go there. If parking wasnt free it'd be dead.
I agree about dalton park. It's a shithole. But to be fair the metro centre is a day out. So don't mind the chew. I only go a couple of times a year. But I think people go because of the shops if they charged a £1.5o all day parking people would still go. I use the our city centre more but not for owt serious. Gonna give all the new stuff a go so I can pull it apart of course. Can't wait to the pictures at the art centre. Sorry art hub.

I agree about dalton park. It's a shithole. But to be fair the metro centre is a day out. So don't mind the chew. I only go a couple of times a year. But I think people go because of the shops if they charged a £1.5o all day parking people would still go. I use the our city centre more but not for owt serious. Gonna give all the new stuff a go so I can pull it apart of course. Can't wait to the pictures at the art centre. Sorry art hub.

For some its a day out a few times a year, for others its their weekly / fortnighty shopping trip.
Those in the latter are too snobby to pop into town for a bit of shopping.
And there in lies the proplem of money leaking from the local economy. If those people supported the city centre it may be able to sustain better shops & in turn attract more shoppers.

For some its a day out a few times a year, for others its their weekly / fortnighty shopping trip.
Those in the latter are too snobby to pop into town for a bit of shopping.
And there in lies the proplem of money leaking from the local economy. If those people supported the city centre it may be able to sustain better shops & in turn attract more shoppers.
Nail on head. Support your town
/city FFS.

Back