Trams

whats yours ? I'm saying Cars are used because they are the best option not because some road builder duped us .All transport has a part to play
well cars aren't the best option all the time but whatever :lol:

the road building was very much a backhander. most people are fully aware of that. the motorways were necessary in our development as a nation, but we have far too many cars on the road and a lot of people could easily use public transport; they just can't be arsed because it's less convenient.

The Nottingham tram network is ok but to be effective a tram system needs to avoid using the same routes as road vehicles.

This is quite difficult now in British city centres but would work quite well in USA style grid layouts or possibly in new towns.

The amount of times that a car ends up on a tram track and causes grid lock ... aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh.

The private operators in London are ran on behalf of TfL who dictate timetables etc. The Network One Pass is just a ticket and has nothing to do with a cohesive public transport infrastructure.

I'll give you an example of a route I take regularly in Tyne & Wear. I get on the #4 bus (laughingly called Connections) in Fatfield to go to the airport. The bus gets in to Heworth Interchange at the same time as the metro leaves for the airport. Its then a 12+ minute wait for the next one. For the return if you arrive at Heworth after 19:00 the waiting time for the bus is anywhere from 20-60 minutes depending on the time. In similar sized conurbations in Germany the waiting time when switching from one mode of transport to another is normally 5 minutes. Even during the night, buses and trams run at 20min intervals on selected routes.
People moan about public transport here if it's 5 mins late. I went to the Golden Slipper race meet at Rosehill at the weekend . Walked 5 mins to the end of the street. Jumped a bus to Central Station. Got off and walked down the stairs to my platform with a train waiting, jumped on that to Clyde. Changed lines to a train that was just pulling in and carried on to Rosehill. The whole thing was 1hr and 15mins. Virtually no waiting time anywhere and it was $5.20 I think. £2.50. I'm not a regular public transport user but I thought it was seamless and great value.
My place is Eastern beaches and Rosehill is Western Sydney.

Went to Manchester last year and there system is great. Would love Sunderland to follow suit and link up Washington, Durham and Chester-Le-Street. Better than a monorail but still very expensive. Would make the area more attractive as be easier to get around and be less poluted as tram would be electric.

Is it not because people used to go to work in the town centre? Shipyards, vaux etc and now fewer people need to get there anymore for work? When did it shut.

Back