Tram ride through Sunderland 1904

Amazing to watch given the date.
Interesting as fuck that and to think those in the film had no idea of the two world wars to come. They also had no idea that people from Sunderland would be watching them on hand held devices, 116 years later. :) Little do we know of what people in Sunderland will be watching us on in 116 years time? Internet footage screens in our brains?
Cannot wait for the first footage of Sunderland to be filmed from a Monorail.:cool:

I noticed most scenes feature men, all seem quite smartly dressed. Men are dancing together and men some are walking arm-in-arm which surprised me slightly.

I can see the Museum - is that Fawcett Street next going away from the bridge, with the Town Hall on the right in the distance??

Is that the old bridge .. I cant see the "arch" so it must be even though it features the Nil Desperandum crest that is still there?

Roker Hotel has hardly changed.

Hipsters will be chuffed to see some of their predecessors.

Last edited:
I noticed most scenes feature men, all seem quite smartly dressed. Men are dancing together and men some are walking arm-in-arm which surprised me slightly.

I can see the Museum - is that Fawcett Street next going away from the bridge, with the Town Hall on the right in the distance??

Is that the old bridge .. I cant see the "arch" so it must be even though it features the Nil Desperandum crest that is still there?

It's the same blokes all the way through, init?

It's the same blokes all the way through, init?
You're right - I didn't notice the protagonists (mentioned in the film notes, copied below) . Even so, most of the "extras" in this production seem quite well dressed.

"It's worth watching the film through to its conclusion when the tram arrives at its final stop at the Roker seafront. Clearly invigorated by the sea air, two men (probably Mitchell and Kenyon's showmen collaborators) dance an energetic waltz around the forecourt of the Roker Hotel, before enjoying an impromptu game of 'catch' among the beach-pebbles, waves lapping in the background."

I thought they were heading north with Mackies Corner just in shot on the right then the original building (bridge st) in the distance.

that is the second iteration of the bridge before they installed an arch I believe. Think Wearmouth has had three different designs over its life.
I thought they were heading north with Mackies Corner just in shot on the right then the original building (bridge st) in the distance.

that is the second iteration of the bridge before they installed an arch I believe. Think Wearmouth has had three different designs over its life.

The arches bridge opening in 1929

Last edited:
They all looked a bit glum. Perhaps it was because Newcastle were winning the title that year?

We beat them 3-1 both home and away according to Wikipedia though :cool: We just drew too many (5) away games!

Fascinating stuff mind, would love to be able to go back for a day and just walk around in disguise.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that.
Old film of ordinary folk is always moving and interesting - especially in familiar areas.
The first decade of the 20th century was a blessed time in Europe. Just a shame the Kaiser wasn't run over by a tram then.

I noticed most scenes feature men, all seem quite smartly dressed.

I've noticed that in a lot of old photographs. My Nana (born 1902) wouldn't go out anywhere without being smartly dressed, including a hat. Even if she was just popping to the corner shop or Post Office, she'd take her tabard off and put a smart outfit on with a hat!

Back