Training through Doms (delayed onset muscle stiffness)

Wild Card

Winger
Was going to put this in the weight thread but decided not to.

Basically, after about 2 years of little activity I decided to go to a commando boxing class and really pushed myself. Class was basically a lot of intense bag work combined with core exercises.

Woke up the next day and my traps, biceps, shoulders, back, stomach and quads were all sore. Quite like the feeling.

Anyway day two and most of the soreness has gone apart from stomach and quads. They are peaking and are quite sore.

There is another class tonight and I want to go, my question is for the serious trainers out there, can training through Doms cause damage or be counterproductive?

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

Soreness rather than stiffness isn't it?

I would not be training on stomach DOMS personally if you are still quite sore and new to the movements. You rely heavily on your core during a class. Light exercise would be fine but what you are doing sounds intense. Not worth risking it so early on.

Last edited:
The thing with DOMS is that the severity isn't necessarily an indication of the muscle damage. As long as you are able to differentiate from any other sort of discomfort that actually would be bad, just crack on, be sensible with it and you'll pretty much stop having them at all within a fortnight.

The easiest way to stop getting DOMS is to hit the same body part before the soreness has dissipated. You'll soon stop getting sore.
I did end up trying push through it, didn't notice too much once i got into it apart from the ab exercises, when it came to them i literally couldn't do them quickly as I was meant to.

The next day most of the pains had gone as you suggested they would. Im into my second week now and they are starting to disappear altogether, although I nearly spewed on yesterday, guess i hadn't fully recovered off the Saturday.

Cycling 250k a week atm, usually 115+sat, 25 every day.. No issues at all, done a conditioning class for 35 mins the other morning, 48 hours after I couldn't walk, the pain in my legs was unbearable .. Crazy, have been in bed with a nasty vomiting bug the past 2 days, wonder if that had an added effect? I know it was different muscles, but it was torture, never before that badhad to be the bug..

Back