Training courses at work

most folk would think you were normal then:D:cool:
But you wont get an invite from @Frijj to his new Stats and OCD forum when the mods approve it;)
When I did martial arts there were 4 steps to being able to mindlessly smash up untrained wimps.

1. Unconscious ineptitude. You don’t know that your roundhouse kicks are shite.
2. Conscious ineptitude. You know that your roundhouse kicks are shite.
3. Conscious ability. You have to really think about who you’re kicking.
4. Unconscious ability. You have kicked a dweeb until they’ve blacked out and you didn’t have to think about your technique.

When I did martial arts there were 4 steps to being able to mindlessly smash up untrained wimps.

4. Unconscious ability. You have kicked a dweeb until they’ve blacked out and you didn’t have to think about your technique.
I think you'll find stage four is actually

Logon or register to see this image

see this stuff works The Four States of Competence Explained

Even Short understands as he has now realised he has been sold a tip and made it into a shit tip!

Worst one I had to do was as a student

How to use step ladders correctly.

Turned into a pisstake by me and the other stockroom lad winding the health and safety fella up to the point it could have been construed as bullying

This is the gods honest truth. Three years ago I left the cops and went to work for another government organization. My boss there was the health and safety champion (it’s what they were called). He got the whole department together for twenty minutes to show us all how to walk up and down stairs properly.
Suffice to say i left shortly afterwards amd went back to my previous job.

This is the gods honest truth. Three years ago I left the cops and went to work for another government organization. My boss there was the health and safety champion (it’s what they were called). He got the whole department together for twenty minutes to show us all how to walk up and down stairs properly.
Corporate Manslaughter has made a huge difference to duty of care to Employees, training courses/tool box talks and getting an attendance signature. Walking up and down stairs "properly" perhaps hold the handrail?--sends a message that if you do the simple things in the safest fashion you will have the same principles in all your work.
Flip side is where company gives not one fuck, life lost = big fine and compensation.
I know which company I would want to work for and indeed hope my family continue to do so

Corporate Manslaughter has made a huge difference to duty of care to Employees, training courses/tool box talks and getting an attendance signature. Walking up and down stairs "properly" perhaps hold the handrail?--sends a message that if you do the simple things in the safest fashion you will have the same principles in all your work.
Flip side is where company gives not one fuck, life lost = big fine and compensation.
I know which company I would want to work for and indeed hope my family continue to do so
Do adults working for a government agency really have to be taught to walk up and down stairs? Come on. I’m all for health and safety I even have a dioloma in Workplace Safety and Health so I understand the relevance of legislation and of firms adhering to it, but that was a step too far (no pun intended) imo.
And I’d be interested to see how many successful prosecutions there have been as a result of a firm not fulfilling their legal obligations to teach their employees how to walk up and down stairs.

Do adults working for a government agency really have to be taught to walk up and down stairs? Come on. I’m all for health and safety I even have a dioloma in Workplace Safety and Health so I understand the relevance of legislation and of firms adhering to it, but that was a step too far (no pun intended) imo.
And I’d be interested to see how many successful prosecutions there have been as a result of a firm not fulfilling their legal obligations to teach their employees how to walk up and down stairs.
Should have got a proper qualification marra;)
It's the basic duty of care in point and "training" in up and down stairs shows this--Employee's tick in box in having attended shows they know safest methods of "work" Come to this because of Corporate manslaughter and lack of duty of care claims. No I dont know of any claims re walking on stairs but showing this training is a good defence against other incidents where employee might have been careless perhaps

No they don't.
yes they do! Well at least the ones I have worked on do. Which one(s) have you worked on that didnt?
15 years ago or so British Energy had a safe call number and kicked on again now not just because of EDF takeover
https://www.edfenergy.com/sites/default/files/our_journey_towards_zero_harm_2015.pdf

Last edited:
When I got my first graduate job at one point I had to to bus surveys. Got an hour health and safety training including telling us we had to wear steel toed boots and a hard hat at all times and teaching us how to get off the bus safely. They weren't impressed when I told them I've got the bus in every day this week without hurting myself so I must be a natural. Though do be fair my buses route was through shettleston so maybe a stab vest should've been mandatory.

It's the basic duty of care in point and "training" in up and down stairs shows this--Employee's tick in box in having attended shows they know safest methods of "work" Come to this because of Corporate manslaughter and lack of duty of care claims. No I dont know of any claims re walking on stairs but showing this training is a good defence against other incidents where employee might have been careless perhaps

yes they do! Well at least the ones I have worked on do. Which one(s) have you worked on that didnt?
15 years ago or so British Energy had a safe call number and kicked on again now not just because of EDF takeover
https://www.edfenergy.com/sites/default/files/our_journey_towards_zero_harm_2015.pdf
You clearly know more than me. When I visit Sunderland later this year I’ll be sure to look you up and we can have a long discussion on walking up and down stairs safely.

Why stop at stairs though? Surely if you are doing to train someone in a basic thing that the majority of the population has been doing multiple times every day since the age of 2, then should you H&S train other things. Anyone can stumble walking on a flat bit of floor, opening and closing doors or desk draws could lead to someone careless gaining a mild bruise. Sitting down on the bog while being aware of your head distance to the cubicle door, walls and other obstacles like the toilet roll holder, who knows what could happen? People need to be shown these things, because most people are bumbling idiots with no common sense or physical ability. It is amazing they can make it into work really.

I just saw someone at my work place walking back to their desk carrying a cup of tea. I know I sound like a whistle blower here, but ffs a cup of tea?! You could scald someone with that. We should have a mandatory rule that drinks should not be above 35 degrees and should only be carried to a desk if you have someone in high vis leading the way, making sure the coast is clear. To make sure you stick to the 35 degrees then each kitchen will need food thermometers to dunk in your tea.....oh but then there is the germ risk, so we need courses on how to properly sterilise them after use, which introduces dangerous chemicals to the kitchen, which could get mixed in food or eyes. Goggles are clearly needed. Shit, now I think about it, it is a wonder I have survived at work this long. Thankfully none of this walking with cups of tea ever goes on at home.

The OFSTED thread got me thinking about the ‘prevent’ training that all of our staff had to take online. We’ve also done interweb security, manual handling, fire safety etc.

Does anyone ever remember much about them? To be honest I retained plenty about escaping fires but hardly anything about when to grass up beardos to MI5.
Main thing I remember from my E&D online course was to be on the lookout for people using Rangers/Celtic coffee mugs and immediately be massively offended by them using it.

The OFSTED thread got me thinking about the ‘prevent’ training that all of our staff had to take online. We’ve also done interweb security, manual handling, fire safety etc.

Does anyone ever remember much about them? To be honest I retained plenty about escaping fires but hardly anything about when to grass up beardos to MI5.

Done loads either as a school governor or working part time within DU , it’s all about awareness and few of them are quite interesting!

Did a merchandising job and was supposed to hang a banner from the ceiling. They wouldn't let me use the step ladder as I haven't been health and safety trained so I had to ask a member of store staff to hang it up for me.

I've just painted my stairwell which involved balancing on a ladder on the stairs and I didn't fall off!

Hi Becs , have you done the accreditation process for Asda and Sainsbury ( cost a fortune just to be able to work in their stores ) !

Last edited:
On one next week in Sheffield. Good job I booked the hotels for March then eh? With no option to cancel or move the booking eh?

Back