Training courses at work

The OFSTED thread got me thinking about the ‘prevent’ training that all of our staff had to take online. We’ve also done interweb security, manual handling, fire safety etc.

Does anyone ever remember much about them? To be honest I retained plenty about escaping fires but hardly anything about when to grass up beardos to MI5.

The OFSTED thread got me thinking about the ‘prevent’ training that all of our staff had to take online. We’ve also done interweb security, manual handling, fire safety etc.

Does anyone ever remember much about them? To be honest I retained plenty about escaping fires but hardly anything about when to grass up beardos to MI5.
No. Somewhere I used to work would have dozens of online quizzes that were twenty questions long. All it meant was staff would sit around and work out the answers together.

You’ve just reminded me I was supposed to complete mine before half term.

I’ll just have to bluff it and pretend I’ve done it.

Worst one I had to do was as a student

How to use step ladders correctly.

Turned into a pisstake by me and the other stockroom lad winding the health and safety fella up to the point it could have been construed as bullying

Worst one I had to do was as a student

How to use step ladders correctly.

Turned into a pisstake by me and the other stockroom lad winding the health and safety fella up to the point it could have been construed as bullying

Did a merchandising job and was supposed to hang a banner from the ceiling. They wouldn't let me use the step ladder as I haven't been health and safety trained so I had to ask a member of store staff to hang it up for me.

I've just painted my stairwell which involved balancing on a ladder on the stairs and I didn't fall off!

You know its not just about "beardos" right? The prevent strategy is about extremism of all forms, bizarrely at a school in Leeds the cops tried to tell a teachers group that they should report the likes of the Green Partys Caroline Lucas (MP) for protesting in public....Prevent strategy is very very dangerous. :lol:

I've just painted my stairwell which involved balancing on a ladder on the stairs and I didn't fall off!

I hope you did a risk assessment report first and also had contingency plans in place in case you fell.

No. Somewhere I used to work would have dozens of online quizzes that were twenty questions long. All it meant was staff would sit around and work out the answers together.

At least HR could tick the box to say you had completed the course and the company had trained you effectively so you couldn’t sue them.

https://www.simplypsychology.org/learning-kolb.html
Keeps folks in jobs anarl yer knaa!

Nuclear sites have a grass your manager, Department, Station, secure and confidential "hotline". Rarely used reportedly but safe cultures on site and knowledge of it's availability no doubt help.
A lot of the prevent training of course is duty of care and making accountability more transparent at all levels

Last edited:
https://www.simplypsychology.org/learning-kolb.html
Keeps folks in jobs anarl yer knaa!

Nuclear sites have a grass your manager, Department, Station, secure and confidential "hotline". Rarely used reportedly but safe cultures on site and knowledge of it's availability no doubt help.
A lot of the prevent training of course is duty of care and making accountability more transparent at all levels
The Kolb article was interesting. In lay person’s terms:

Observe someone doing something
Have a go under supervision
If you’re any good then fly the plane yourself.

The Kolb article was interesting. In lay person’s terms:

Observe someone doing something
Have a go under supervision
If you’re any good then fly the plane yourself.
You can actually use it very early in life without being aware of the model
Riding a bike downhill fast, grip the front brake only--ower the top of the handlebars for a true "concrete experience"
Reflect--I wont just grip that bassa again, sticking to grip the back brake
Abstract--bit boring just gripping the back brake--what is the front brake for?
Active experiment-- hhhmmm using them both together gives interesting results:) wow on the right surface you can get a superb skid with them both applied at the right time:D
We have all gone through it as Bairns surely:cool:

You can actually use it very early in life without being aware of the model
Riding a bike downhill fast, grip the front brake only--ower the top of the handlebars for a true "concrete experience"
Reflect--I wont just grip that bassa again, sticking to grip the back brake
Abstract--bit boring just gripping the back brake--what is the front brake for?
Active experiment-- hhhmmm using them both together gives interesting results:) wow on the right surface you can get a superb skid with them both applied at the right time:D
We have all gone through it as Bairns surely:cool:
Yes and I learned to code software by breaking it a lot!

I think I learned to ride a bike by rolling down a steep driveway and trying to avoid a wall ....

Someone at work has a plaque on their desk - there aren’t any mistakes, only lessons.

Imagine saying that to an irate employer: ooops that’s my 37th lesson this week. :lol:

Back