Train tickets/Family & Friends Railcard query

I know a lot on here use trains quite a bit so hoping someone can clear something up that is puzzling me, or just point out my stupidity.

I'm looking at prices for a return journey to London in December for 2 adults and 1 child aged 3. Standard tickets are coming in at £281.40 total cost (£140.70 ew). I then changed the booking to show that I had a railcard (remember doing this years ago and it was still beneficial to buy a family & Friends railcard for the saving), however it shows no saving whatsoever. I now know after a little googling that children under 5 travel free. But, if I put my childs age as 5 the total trip is £351.80, and with a railcard it would be £213.90, take into account the £30 for the card and that's a saving of £107.90 as the total 'cost' of the trip would be £243.90. The saving overall would only be £37.50 based on my childs age but is that right? It's cheaper for 2 adults and a fare paying child aged 5-15 to travel the same journey as 2 adults and a 'free' fare child aged 3? I know it's a bit of a ramble but it doesn't seem right to me and I'm hoping someone can point out my error and save me some money!!

Cheers, I always thought it was best to book as early as possible. I'll set an alert up.

Set up an alert and you can also keep an eye on here for all the train company ticket release dates:
National Rail Enquiries - Buying Advance tickets and reserving seats

If the child goes as a free child, they don't get a seat and you're expected to have them on your lap if there are no spare seats. It might be worth paying for a ticket so the three year old gets a seat.

Have you looked at the LNER family ticket? That might be cheaper for you.

Didn't know it existed, just searched for it on the back of your post and they're currently only available upto 31st October, will keep checking as time goes on, cheers.
Set up an alert and you can also keep an eye on here for all the train company ticket release dates:
National Rail Enquiries - Buying Advance tickets and reserving seats

If the child goes as a free child, they don't get a seat and you're expected to have them on your lap if there are no spare seats. It might be worth paying for a ticket so the three year old gets a seat.

Thanks, I think that might be the best solution, no way on earth he'll sit on one of our laps for 3 hours.

Last edited:
I’ve a £9 railcard code if anyone wants it. I converted Clubcard points and I got two separate codes

Back