Train holiday

A while back someone asked about a train holiday (I can't remember poster or find thread)

Newmarket Holidays offer:

"Little Trains of the Pyrenees" - enjoy slow journeys through the beautful border country between Spain and France on some wonderful mountain railway trains
includes
Roses Express Road Train
Nuria Rack Railway
Red Train
Little Yellow Train

6 days from £699 includes flights, half board and transfers
0330 160 7724 quote NQL newmarketholidays.co.uk/nql

Sounds like an interesting and reasonably priced holiday for the poster in question

would love to do the interail thing around Europe for a month but getting the time off work is the issue. You can buy the tickets to travel around the uk but it’s about £800 for 14 days. Would love to get the dog and just head off. Just noticed the tickets available if you’re not a uk citizen, £460 for first class train travel for 15 days.

would love to do the interail thing around Europe for a month but getting the time off work is the issue. You can buy the tickets to travel around the uk but it’s about £800 for 14 days. Would love to get the dog and just head off. Just noticed the tickets available if you’re not a uk citizen, £460 for first class train travel for 15 days.

Ffs its £155 just down to the smoke n back.

A while back someone asked about a train holiday (I can't remember poster or find thread)

"Little Trains of the Pyrenees" - enjoy slow journeys through the beautful border country between Spain and France on some wonderful mountain railway trains
includes
Roses Express Road Train
Nuria Rack Railway
Red Train
Little Yellow Train

Sounds like an interesting and reasonably priced holiday for the poster in question
Love the petit train jaune, they were going to scrap it.Often have a day out in Villefranche, some lovely views in Conflent and Cerdagne.

Me and the ex wife did the Eurail Pass thing. The one we took was any 3 adjoining countries over a 3 week period I think. We chose Germany Austria and Italy and we paid for an extra ticket into Prague. We went to Vienna, Prague, Berlin, Salzburg, skii'd for a week at St. Johann Im Pongau, took an overnight sleeper from Salzburg to Venice then back to Vienna and flew to the UK. It was magic. All first class travel. Interesting to see what each country classed as first class. The German trains were superb. Did it all in the Winter as well.

includes
Roses Express Road Train
Nuria Rack Railway
Red Train
Little Yellow Train

@janiep ‘s kind of thing. Might have been her.

We looked at doing the Vancouver to Banff train a few years back but it was daft money so we drove it. Brilliant decision.

You need to book in advance mate. I got Wembley trains for £141 for two of us with a railcard.

Often cant wilfy.

7am down, 5pm back = £155 if within a week or two of travel. And thats cheaper than mainline.

Used family railcard for wembley like, £70 an adult, £20 the bairn, far more sensible.

We looked at doing the Vancouver to Banff train a few years back but it was daft money so we drove it. Brilliant decision.

Nice tag, thank you. I’ve never done a train holiday as such but I’ve used a lot of long distance train travel in Europe, a little in the US and Australia. Still find it a fabulous way to travel, always my first preference if time and money allow.

Class
Did it on a motorbike a few times
One day started in sunny Spain ,went over the mountains down the other side
Pissing down in France so got fuel and headed back to sunshine :lol:

Nice tag, thank you. I’ve never done a train holiday as such but I’ve used a lot of long distance train travel in Europe, a little in the US and Australia. Still find it a fabulous way to travel, always my first preference if time and money allow.

Yeah. There’s something about a train journey, as long as it’s not a rammed commuter train.

@MrOompapa you were enquiring about my travel habits.

Totally agree. Best way to travel.
One of our main suppliers to current project are in Grenoble. A few months back i was due to go and do a progress presentation there. Rather than fly Amsterdam - Lyon then bus i had fixed up the train. Amsterdam - Paris - Grenoble (1st class was a few hundred cheaper than flight anyway). Taking into account waiting times at Schipol and bus from Lyon the train got me there about an hour later than flight. Was really looking forward to it.
Week before gaffer decides i need to stay in Kazakhstan to host site meetings. My replacement in Grenoble said it was fantastic...… Bastard!!!

Me and the wife are going to do this if we ever get rid of the bloody kids!

Last edited:

includes
Roses Express Road Train
Nuria Rack Railway
Red Train
Little Yellow Train

It was very probably me. But it was specifically Italy and self organised. Still planning it for next year

I’ll have a look at the above too though. Thanks

Same here Wilfy.
Would love to do a European rail holiday, some day.
I've travelled on trains, in many countries, but rarely have I travelled from country to country by rail.
I usually fly from country to country, for quickness and convenience.
It's definitely something I'll consider doing, before I get too much older.

Back