Train Derailment

From the overhead video it shows the four coaches and one power car. Can anyone see where the other power car is in relation to the site?
Near the bridge in the shadow of the trees. It's half burned and half covered in dust. The rest of the train has actually passed it.

This is a clearer view of the site and the leading power car, which clearly left the rails whilst still on the bridge. The bridge parapet has been taken out completely, along with whatever the bridge sidewall was (sometimes they are just temporary looking metal poles)

Logon or register to see this image

Train now shown to have been derailed by a landslip about one train length south of the final resting place, shown very briefly at the far left of the opening frames, and again briefly at top of shot at 0:39, and from 0:53 in this drone footage

Video: New drone footage shows scale of devastation after Stonehaven train crash - Evening Express

Last edited:
I'm OK mate just still in disbelief tbh. I knew the guard he was my guard on quite a few of my trains. Didn't know the driver but have seen him in our break room on occasions. My heart goes out to the passenger who died too. Nobody should ever board a train and not expect to get off safely.
A freak, tragic accident 😢

I'm OK mate just still in disbelief tbh. I knew the guard he was my guard on quite a few of my trains. Didn't know the driver but have seen him in our break room on occasions. My heart goes out to the passenger who died too. Nobody should ever board a train and not expect to get off safely.

Sorry to hear that 😘 I saw the photos of the men and the guard looked like one of those people who are jolly all the time.

Thanks. Obviously some energy expended in the accident to have the cars end up as they have.
The energy involved in high speed rail is staggering. Almost every important structural or mechanical part of a train is solid metal and massive, scale that up to hundreds of metres long and send it along a track at speeds over 100mph, the calculations of the force involved in any impact become frightening.
Devastating
You and your colleagues have my deepest sympathy mate. Are yous getting any support?

Last edited:
The energy involved in high speed rail is staggering. Almost every important structural or mechanical part of a train is solid metal and massive, scale that up to hundreds of metres long and send it along a track at speeds over 100mph, the calculations of the force involved in any impact become frightening.

You and your colleagues have my deepest sympathy mate. Are yous getting any support?
Yeah we've all had company email with railway chaplains number.

As for energy expended. The loco is about 80 tons and each coach is approx 40 tons so even at around 50 mph the momentum and destructive force is unreal.

Yeah we've all had company email with railway chaplains number.

As for energy expended. The loco is about 80 tons and each coach is approx 40 tons so even at around 50 mph the momentum and destructive force is unreal.
It's horrific mate. You know that we are all here to help if need be, just give us the nod whenever you want to go back to the normal abuse. :lol:
Until then, if you need owt or anyone, you have thousands of friends on here. There are also thousands of absolute arseholes as well but you knew that anyway. ;)

It's horrific mate. You know that we are all here to help if need be, just give us the nod whenever you want to go back to the normal abuse. :lol:
Until then, if you need owt or anyone, you have thousands of friends on here. There are also thousands of absolute arseholes as well but you knew that anyway. ;)
All good mate let the abuse continue.

Indeed.

Even at low speeds it's an incredible amount of energy involved

Saw this in the online edition of the local paper today. Well done that young lass.

Yeah she's done her job and protected the line as per the rule book. Massive amount of respect and praise for her considering she was travelling pass onboard.

That suggests there may have been some time between the accident and the alarm being raised. Was that the case, or has it not yet been established?

That suggests there may have been some time between the accident and the alarm being raised. Was that the case, or has it not yet been established?
The signaller would have registered that track circuits weren't activated. This happens all the time believe it or not. This is a very interesting and disturbing read so discretion is advised. It's the first reports of the incident on gov. Com.

Back