Train Derailment

Mate the timings look out because of the time of departure, but the train was reversed.

If you look on the link I posted, there's info that explain it on there. And way better than I could!!

Bloke on R4 said the the train got as far as Newmill where there was a landslide. It reversed to gan back to Stonehaven and in the meantime another landslide had occurred at Carmont which it hit.

Three fatalities feared and one person missing according to reports.

Sky reporting 3 dead and a number taken to hospital with non life threatening injuries....12 people were aboard the train 6 passengers and 6 staff...Driver is one who has died...his family have been informed

I've ridden that route pre-COVID a couple times at a similar hour and that sounds right for a six-car train. I recall it being pretty busy but not rammed.

The relative lack of passengers is about the only good thing to say about this incident. It's hard to get my head around the accident not being reported for nearly three hours - that alone strongly suggests that everyone was badly injured. I can't imagine what the survivors went through in the hours before anyone showed up.
They have track circuit actuators which are located under each end. That sends a signal to the signal centre to tell them where it is. The signallers monitor would have identified that the signal disappeared in a similar way to atc.

Just been announced by the rmt that the conductor has passed too. 2 of my colleagues have gone rest in peace.
That's awful, mate, I'm sorry. I wouldn't like to think how distressing this must be for someone in the same line of work to be hearing about. Rest in Peace to your colleagues.

This whole thing is seriously grim and disturbing. Mentally or physically even the survivors are going to be scarred for life. Not to mention the effect on those on the scene trying to help and save lives.

Looks like the driver's cab has been completely torn off.
The cab is literally bolted to the frame and its only fibreglass. I've seen them in for repair at craigentinney with the cab removed and it looks weird as hell. It's probably been totally crushed as opposed to torn off. I don't want to speculate tho but fuck me I hope the driver went quickly and didn't suffer.

I've ridden that route pre-COVID a couple times at a similar hour and that sounds right for a six-car train. I recall it being pretty busy but not rammed.

The relative lack of passengers is about the only good thing to say about this incident. It's hard to get my head around the accident not being reported for nearly three hours - that alone strongly suggests that everyone was badly injured. I can't imagine what the survivors went through in the hours before anyone showed up.
Other trains were due and would have passed the scene, so it wasn't three hours by the look of it. Its not very clear when it happened or what the train had actually done by that point. It is reported to have reversed at some point due to a landslip, to then cross over and proceed "wrong road" south but it can be seen that it was travelling "right road" when it came off the rails. So it has either reversed again or crossed somewhere back onto the other track. Whether it had reversed again is in question, but these things can take a long time to organise. Communication up there is apparently very patchy.

There is a scored line in the ballast that starts on the bridge suggesting it was derailed before or during crossing the bridge. Its not entirely certain that it actually hit a landslip at all, as discussed on that other forum.
The cab is literally bolted to the frame and its only fibreglass. I've seen them in for repair at craigentinney with the cab removed and it looks weird as hell. It's probably been totally crushed as opposed to torn off. I don't want to speculate tho but fuck me I hope the driver went quickly and didn't suffer.
It looks very cleanly removed from the bulkhead without any stoved-in wreckage visible. Yes I remember seeing pictures of them cabs-off during the Grand Central refit prior to introduction, and they looked like that.

Anyway, truly sorry for your colleagues mate.

Last edited:
I've heard the driver had passed away. I'm waiting for one of my colleagues to tell me who it is. So much for all the comments about just pushing buttons and pulling levers. The railway is a dangerous dangerous place and you never know what's literally around the corner. Thoughts go to the drivers family
Just been told it was one of our hst sets.

Should be on the minimum wage according to some big shot City trader.

I know everyone gives us shit and takes the piss but it's impossible to describe how I feel right now. It could have been anyone of us at any time and I just feel so empty right now even more so when I don't know who has passed. I will definitely have had the conductor as part of my crew at some point and might even know them personally but I just don't know who they are. It'll probs hit more so when I do find out. It's like being told 2 of your relatives have died but you have no idea who.

Next time you board a train or aircraft please don't abuse the crew they are there for your safety and do their very best to make sure you go home at night.

I know everyone gives us shit and takes the piss but it's impossible to describe how I feel right now. It could have been anyone of us at any time and I just feel so empty right now even more so when I don't know who has passed. I will definitely have had the conductor as part of my crew at some point and might even know them personally but I just don't know who they are. It'll probs hit more so when I do find out. It's like being told 2 of your relatives have died but you have no idea who.

Next time you board a train or aircraft please don't abuse the crew they are there for your safety and do their very best to make sure you go home at night.

Well said mate. šŸ‘

From the overhead video it shows the four coaches and one power car. Can anyone see where the other power car is in relation to the site?

Back