Train Derailment

Thoughts and prayers are with my colleagues and passengers. Driven up and down that stretch of line many a time. Hope they are safe however I've heard reports of at least 1 fatality.
Fingers crossed there are no more fatalities? That is a truly terrible crash but hopefully most of the passengers and staff escaped injury and serious injury.

I'm currently camped about 20 mins south of stonehaven. The weather from 5am was horrendous. At various points it sounded like there was no actual breaks in the thunder and the river at the end of the field was a trickle and is now not far from bursting it's banks. Stonehaven has various streets underwater too. I wouldn't be surprised if the train has hit a landslide or some submerged track. Thankfully from about 10 it's been bright sunshine so the water will hopefully drain.

Fingers crossed no one is hurt.
We had it Monday night. I’m waiting for it to hurry up and come back to break this heat.

I've heard the driver had passed away. I'm waiting for one of my colleagues to tell me who it is. So much for all the comments about just pushing buttons and pulling levers. The railway is a dangerous dangerous place and you never know what's literally around the corner. Thoughts go to the drivers family
Just been told it was one of our hst sets.

Last edited:
f***ing hell, awful that.

Christmas time on the train up to the north east always has me wondering how they can pack so many people on to trains, because if ever any accident or derailment it would be an absolute nightmare

Looks nasty. Amazing there were only six people on it, reportedly.

On a non COVID Scotrail train, three carriages maybe, about ten thousand people given their loading policy.

I've heard the driver had passed away. I'm waiting for one of my colleagues to tell me who it is. So much for all the comments about just pushing buttons and pulling levers. The railway is a dangerous dangerous place and you never know what's literally around the corner. Thoughts go to the drivers family
Just been told it was one of our hst sets.
ScotRail HST HA22 43140 + 40622 + 42007 + 42564 + 42145 + 43030 as reported on Stonehaven derailment

Horrific stuff

Last edited:
My friend reckons that’s train would average about 100+ pre-COVID

I've ridden that route pre-COVID a couple times at a similar hour and that sounds right for a six-car train. I recall it being pretty busy but not rammed.

The relative lack of passengers is about the only good thing to say about this incident. It's hard to get my head around the accident not being reported for nearly three hours - that alone strongly suggests that everyone was badly injured. I can't imagine what the survivors went through in the hours before anyone showed up.

I've ridden that route pre-COVID a couple times at a similar hour and that sounds right for a six-car train. I recall it being pretty busy but not rammed.

The relative lack of passengers is about the only good thing to say about this incident. It's hard to get my head around the accident not being reported for nearly three hours - that alone strongly suggests that everyone was badly injured. I can't imagine what the survivors went through in the hours before anyone showed up.

Mate the timings look out because of the time of departure, but the train was reversed.

If you look on the link I posted, there's info that explain it on there. And way better than I could!!

Back