Trail Running

Anyone do it? How did you start? Where did you start? How far should I be able to run "flat" before i start running around muddy trails etc? Are there any local good practise routes? Is there an equivalent of park run sort of deal to get you going?

There's no hard & fast rules, you just need to pay more attention to your footing while running & if you're on your own it helps to have a decent sense of direction but these days with a gps in every phone you can use that if you get lost.

It's probably worthwhile getting a pair of proper trail shoes if you're going to be spending much time off road. More Mile Cheviots are very good value for money you can normally pick them up for about £30ish.

I'm pretty sure there's a few parkruns around that have some or maybe even all of their routes off road. Flatts Lane near Middlesbrough springs to mind although I haven't done it myself yet.

Muddy Roads do 5k trail races for all abilities including night trail races in the winter with a similar set up to parkruns but you have to pay around £5 a race.

I got started with trail running by entering the Trail Outlaws Penshaw 10K

I took the dog for a walk last week and I was wearing jeans and trainers, we ended up in a wooded area but I couldn’t let her off the lead. I ended up running along after the dog on some trails and it was a great laugh.

Canal towpaths are good (no hills!).

Around the perimeter of reservoirs.

I went cross country a few times when it was unplanned with mixed results, and I’ve had to backtrack or dodge geese/cow pats etc.

There's no hard & fast rules, you just need to pay more attention to your footing while running & if you're on your own it helps to have a decent sense of direction but these days with a gps in every phone you can use that if you get lost.

It's probably worthwhile getting a pair of proper trail shoes if you're going to be spending much time off road. More Mile Cheviots are very good value for money you can normally pick them up for about £30ish.

I'm pretty sure there's a few parkruns around that have some or maybe even all of their routes off road. Flatts Lane near Middlesbrough springs to mind although I haven't done it myself yet.

Muddy Roads do 5k trail races for all abilities including night trail races in the winter with a similar set up to parkruns but you have to pay around £5 a race.

I got started with trail running by entering the Trail Outlaws Penshaw 10K

Trail outlaws looks good. Unfortunately HM is probably a bit of a stretch for me by next month but i think ill enter the 2 10ks. I'll have a look at those shoes too. Cheers!

I've started doing this once a week, i really enjoy it until about half way round when i'm knackered and wish i hadn't bothered. But i keep going and i feel better for it after finishing. I bought a trail runner backpack so it keeps my phone and keys in and other essentials if i needed them. It also has a hydration bladder in it which is cool but leaks down me back every run which sucks. I tend to go castle eden as it's fairly quiet and i can let the dog off with no bother. As stevie says, don't over think it, i just went out one day and pushed myself for as much as i could not expecting much, turns out i was alright! just take more care when running especially when fallen trees/muddy parts/cliffs are present.

edit: i do need to find more similar routes mind

It also has a hydration bladder in it which is cool but leaks down me back every run which sucks.

Piece of clingfilm doubled over, then place it over the top of the main opening and screw down top, using the clingfilm like an extra barrier, works wonders.

Check out north east races website, details most races including trail.

I have signed up for red kite 8miles and gateshead trail. Will probably sign up for sedgefield serpentine and gibside as well.

Check out north east races website, details most races including trail.

I have signed up for red kite 8miles and gateshead trail. Will probably sign up for sedgefield serpentine and gibside as well.

Red Kite is quite tough. Make sure you've got some good hill sessions in your training if you want to enjoy it. The soup & bun after is nice though.

Trail outlaws looks good. Unfortunately HM is probably a bit of a stretch for me by next month but i think ill enter the 2 10ks. I'll have a look at those shoes too. Cheers!

I'll be marshalling at all the trail outlaws this year . They're all a really good crowd

Back