Traffic scheme North Bridge St Dame Dorothy St

Rob the Ref

Winger
SOS if I’ve missed any recent threads on this but now it has been up and running for about 6 months how have users found it.
Living out of the city on the south side I don’t use it a lot but it appears to have been a success, perhaps users on the north side have a different experience.
The Council will have ran some traffic numbers through a model but I was a bit worried it might have made things worse.
If it is working well then perhaps problems might happen if traffic increases in the future, even though I would think a Council traffic model would have allowed for this.
One welcome benefit for me is for pedestrians crossing from Roker Avenue to the match, a lot easier now.
I am surprised there were not more serious collisions on the previous layout.

They need to do something about the timing of the lights.
They’ve already adjusted the Wheatsheaf junction since it started.
The junction at the north end of the bridge seem to give far to much priority to traffic coming along Dame Dot St. It’s as though it based on the amount of traffic that’s used to come along that way before the change.
The lights at Tesco don’t help either. They just go through their cycle irrespective of whether there’s any traffic or not.

Need to re-instate Charles Street as two way*, it would make the ability to turn right onto Dame Dorothy more purposeful for me, since you aren’t allowed to turn directly from DD to Charles Street.

*it was two way during the road works.

it's a bit tight turning right from north bridge street towards falcon computers, but apart from that, it is a massive improvement.

I’m sure the Council would welcome all comments if emailed to them.
Particularly the positive ones as they probably only get negative ones usually.
They might even act on some suggestions.

What’s the actual point in it? Absolutely nothing. It serves no purpose at all.
It pushes traffic heading to the coast down church St .All you should get knocking about is the odd local car
Need to re-instate Charles Street as two way*, it would make the ability to turn right onto Dame Dorothy more purposeful for me, since you aren’t allowed to turn directly from DD to Charles Street.

*it was two way during the road works.
Where's Charles St ?

Last edited:
IMO bus lanes should be bus only ONLY during peak travel times and not at off peak times. Why have one lane busy and one empty unnecessarily. For example, the bus lane on the A690 between the Board Inn and A19 and the bus lane from the north moor to the prospect are empty apart from peak times. Using them would be more practical and ease unnecessary congestion.

Its great apart from trying to get over the bridge from town in the morning. Used to be 3 lanes on the roundabout and since it went down to 2 it creates long queues (from St Mary's) on a morning and everyone is queuing for the far right (fourth) lane.

Back