Tradesmen

not sure on the heating one. HSE havent altered the 12 month rule for Landlords as of yet, solocal authority/ housing providers are still going ahead where they can

That’s the one that’s bothering me. I had a snidey letter from Believe housing about letting them service the boiler and if I don’t let their bloke in they won’t do any repairs until I do. How do they square the circle with the government advice to not let anyone in?

Both myself and my daughter are in the shielding group, should we just ignore the advice given to us and let some random bloke in who has been god knows where, touching god knows what?

I had a leak coming through the ceiling at the weekend. I pulled the floorboards up found the leak. Plumber come out to fix it, I told him to just come straight in, go upstairs and he'd see what needs doing. PayPal transfer of the money and job was done with no contact as he was wearing gloves.
I just need B&Q to open so I can have a crack at fixing the ceiling.

I'd say they should only be doing emergency stuff. Boiler breakdowns and things like that but plenty will be grafting as normal aslong as there is demand.

Unfortunately we were literally in the middle of getting a new kitchen which I suppose is essential seen as though it's a building site. Since the lockdown We have had a plasterer out who I know and the kitchen fitter is out today. Otherwise I would have left it. The lads who have come out so far are self employed so they don't get paid if they don't work. The government hand out is not until June apparently so what are they supposed to do until then. You just have to be sensible, clean all door handles and light switches. Leave doors open and make whoever comes in wash their hands and just generally keep out of their way.

I had a leak coming through the ceiling at the weekend. I pulled the floorboards up found the leak. Plumber come out to fix it, I told him to just come straight in, go upstairs and he'd see what needs doing. PayPal transfer of the money and job was done with no contact as he was wearing gloves.
I just need B&Q to open so I can have a crack at fixing the ceiling.
You can get some stuff delivered to your home from their website.

That’s the one that’s bothering me. I had a snidey letter from Believe housing about letting them service the boiler and if I don’t let their bloke in they won’t do any repairs until I do. How do they square the circle with the government advice to not let anyone in?

Both myself and my daughter are in the shielding group, should we just ignore the advice given to us and let some random bloke in who has been god knows where, touching god knows what?
Its law they have to do it once every 12 months so they put the onus on you to let them. Best thing to do is isolate in your living room and let him crack on, keeps you right with your tenancy agreement and keeps them from getting snotty.But make sure they know he has to arrive with fresh in the bag PPE (White disposable overalls, mask gloves etc) that he puts on before he enters or you can`t allow him in

Looks like many are still working in houses etc. If they are confined to one room in a home is this allowed? I know the government haven’t banned them working.
Surely it’s non essential work?
But if they can work safely, it’s money for them and their family?

we need a room plastering, but I don’t think we should be asking anyone into the house currently.
Your thoughts?

Boiler broke down yesterday. Essential repair needed. Lad turned up from 24/7 Home Rescue this morning. We and him obeyed the rules. Boiler fixed no problems. I phoned the company before he turned up to verify that he was virus free. Job done.

Last edited:
Looks like many are still working in houses etc. If they are confined to one room in a home is this allowed? I know the government haven’t banned them working.
Surely it’s non essential work?
But if they can work safely, it’s money for them and their family?

we need a room plastering, but I don’t think we should be asking anyone into the house currently.
Your thoughts?
Danger money.

Back