Tradesmen

SAFCTEES

Central Defender
Looks like many are still working in houses etc. If they are confined to one room in a home is this allowed? I know the government haven’t banned them working.
Surely it’s non essential work?
But if they can work safely, it’s money for them and their family?

we need a room plastering, but I don’t think we should be asking anyone into the house currently.
Your thoughts?

I'm not sure. My Mam had to call someone out yesterday as the bathroom extractor fan had come away and water was getting in. That was essential otherwise it could have caused more damage if she'd left it. I wouldn't have anyone out doing plastering or anything that can wait though.

Essential work like water pipes leaking or gas or dangerous appliances, electrical(s)...then, obviously people will require those services which I would think were ultra essential.
Wanting your decorating done and suchlike is non-essential and would be a job better served by those already in the home which would go a long way to cutting down on boredom, etc.
And to think: Imagine the skills some will acquire.

I had to get someone out to shift a blocked drain last week. Essential stuff like that has to go on.

Getting someone in for a bit decorating isn't though.

Essential work like water pipes leaking or gas or dangerous appliances, electrical(s)...then, obviously people will require those services which I would think were ultra essential.
Wanting your decorating done and suchlike is non-essential and would be a job better served by those already in the home which would go a long way to cutting down on boredom, etc.

I'd agree with this. Certain things are necessary/essential.

With regard to non-essentials, I'd have to say that outdoor work (gardening, window cleaning etc.) should be okay provided that social distancing is adhered to.

Mostly this. Plastering is hardly essential. In fact if you tried it in a big enough area, it would rid you of any thoughts of ever trying it again. A bit of patching in some out of the way corner, yeh have a go.

Government advise currently is as long as you are 2 metres apart, then you are fine to work.

Government advise currently also states that the most similar Coronaviruses can survive on surfaces for anything from 24 hours to 2-3 days. There were exceptions in the past that lasted longer. It's not thought that Covid 19 can last longer than 24 hour on surfaces like cardboard and it's not the main mode of infection. But it's the reason why I'm having no deliveries other than essentials such as food* - which I've not needed just yet and why I would think that having non essential tradesman around the house would be unwise. I realise that surfaces can be wiped and people can wear gloves but why take chances by circumnavigating the letter of the guidance when personal responsibility around the spirit of it would seem to be the wiser course.

* Pizza deliveries seem to be popular around our way atm. I've seen cash changing hands and people chatting with the delivery lad on the doorstep about two feet apart from him. I've also seen (obviously pre-paid) deliveries left at the door to be picked up by the householder when the lads gone. Again, I know that things can be wiped and gloves can be worn. But why take chances for the sake of a pizza.

I hasten to add that I've seen all these things from the window whilst the hostage negotiator has been talking with me about releasing the tradesmen locked in my loft.

I'd agree with this. Certain things are necessary/essential.

With regard to non-essentials, I'd have to say that outdoor work (gardening, window cleaning etc.) should be okay provided that social distancing is adhered to.
Aye. I've been doing my garden but it's not like I'm encroaching on anyone.

Looks like many are still working in houses etc. If they are confined to one room in a home is this allowed? I know the government haven’t banned them working.
Surely it’s non essential work?
But if they can work safely, it’s money for them and their family?

we need a room plastering, but I don’t think we should be asking anyone into the house currently.
Your thoughts?
not an emergency, leave it alone
Government advise currently is as long as you are 2 metres apart, then you are fine to work.

Same as factories, sites etc.

I wouldn't fancy dipping in and out of folks houses currently like.
It`s a bit arsenipping tbh. Tenants aren`t exactly shy about lying to get what they want, claiming an uncontainable leak on a sink when really it`s just the plug worn out and not holding the water in etc so I don`t trust them to be telling truth about self isolation or symptoms. They are told to open the door then bugger off in the room before we enter, if they don`t or hang over us like normal we are to walk out. Currently for 13k properties we have a bare minimum of 3 plumbers. 3 joiners, 4 gas lads and 4 sparkies doing strict emergencies only, all other work in tenanted properties is stopped.

Last edited:
I’m about to start building a utility room in my garage, I don’t know one end of a hammer from the other so should be interesting! I reckon I’ll need a professional to put right whatever damage I do, but god I need a ‘project’ 😂

I left one in ours on Saturday whilst we all went down the beach, got some Hot Dogs and candyfloss for afters.
He wasn't finished when we got back so we went back out to the park, the dogs have never been so knackered.

I need a plasterer and electrician for some decorative work but it'll have to wait. I'll do as much of it as I can and hopefully I'll get someone to come in and blast the work when lockdown is over.

Had a heating engineer in to do a boiler service start of last week - not sure that was essential either tbh (it was fine but needed done for warranty) but certainly more so than a plasterer.

I need a plasterer and electrician for some decorative work but it'll have to wait. I'll do as much of it as I can and hopefully I'll get someone to come in and blast the work when lockdown is over.

Had a heating engineer in to do a boiler service start of last week - not sure that was essential either tbh (it was fine but needed done for warranty) but certainly more so than a plasterer.
not sure on the heating one. HSE havent altered the 12 month rule for Landlords as of yet, solocal authority/ housing providers are still going ahead where they can

We were in the process of getting quotes in for roof work and the kitchen and bathroom. Kitchen and bathroom can wait but the roof could do with sorting, they just haven't got back to me. Don't blame them if they've downed tools for the time being.

Back