Toys that were crap....

Haha...we will still play Frustration now!

Used to love this...
Logon or register to see this image
Frustration's great - basically just a redesigned Ludo.
Yup.

There was skill involved. You needed to hit the button just right to get it in the hoop.

Still f***ing shite though.
Yep - definitely skill involved. I had a few in my time, including the basketball one.

A slinky. That spiral wire that moved downstairs.

After a few goes it was bent and useless.

Bat and ball, usually kept for camping, hitting a sponge tennis ball backwards and forwards to each other in the wind, which usually diverts its course,with a heavy plastic tennis racket. Are we supposed to keep it up in the air which is impossible for more than 3-4 hits or do we let it bounce like in actual tennis...no we cant because the shit sponge ball doesnt bounce.

Aye. They never worked like the advertising.

Last edited:
My sister in law bought her daughter a kite.
We went to the beach, and after a lot of f***ing about trying to get it to go, we did. Dead proud of ourselves as it hung there in the air.

Gave the kid the string. She held it then said "What do we do with it now?"

I looked at the sister-in-law blankly. Kid crashed the kite. We went and had ice cream. What a waste of time.

Yoyos as well.... shite
Cap guns were shite. Stoppages all the time. Sometimes I’m the heat of battle I would just have to rub my thumbnail over the roll.

Simon - Got to about 4 or 5 beeps and got rapidly bored
Speak & Spell - Too much like learning at 5 year old like

Both destined for the bottom of the toy box in the corner.

Best toy, Tyco Electric Trucking

Tried to buy one second hand to put in the loft. They go for hundreds these days.

I had a tinplate, clockwork fireman in the 50s, that climbed up a ladder. When he got to the top, you stopped it and returned it to the bottom. That’s all it did, but it kept me happy for hours. Just googled it and one sold recently in a vintage toy auction for £40!

Back