Toys that were crap....

It was a great thing to collect and looked amazing. It just never ‘played well’ for me

The pitch was always its biggest failing IIRC. How many times did the perfect shot hit a crease in the pitch? There were some really shit extras you could buy too. I saved up to buy the "corner kicker", imagining a springloaded footballer with a cannon of a right foot that would curl the ball in with the precision of a cruise missile.

What I got was an oversided footballer capable of kicking the ball about 4 inches in an entirely random direction

Last edited:
The pitch was always its biggest failing IIRC. How many times did the perfect shot hit a crease in the pitch? There were some really shit extras you could buy too. I saved up to buy the "corner kicker", imagining a springloaded footballer with a cannon of a right foot that would curl the ball in with the precision of a cruise missile.

What I got was an oversided footballer capable of kicking the ball about 4 inches in an entirely random direction
Usually happened when the cheating fucker you were playing creased up the pitch as you were shooting. Same happened with Test Match Cricket. I had that mounted on hardboard and the pitch still managed to crease.
Those really light Football's that you got out of petrol stations for a quid and came in a net.
Hotshots. Made a class sound when you kicked them but went wherever the wind was blowing!!
Anything that was Slo mo in the adverts ,hot wheels,evel Knievel,train sets etc
Evel Knievel was class. It was unstoppable - used to make big jumps out of annuals and the like and had hours of fun.

Last edited:
It was a great thing to collect and looked amazing. It just never ‘played well’ for me

Totally agree, loved collecting the kits and the other stuff. I had the stadiums and scoreboards and all that, the fun was in setting them up. Playing the game was shite. Also they kept snapping all time

If you pasted it onto a sheet of MDF like you're supposed to do you didn't have these problems.

The corner kicker and throw-in taker weren't great like, I'll give you that - but they weren't essential to proper game play.
Totally agree, loved collecting the kits and the other stuff. I had the stadiums and scoreboards and all that, the fun was in setting them up. Playing the game was shite. Also they kept snapping all time
My Quinny and Alex Rae came back from injury stronger than ever with their superglue skirts.
scalextric
Fuckin' class man ya moron.

Last edited:
Anything that was Slo mo in the adverts ,hot wheels,evel Knievel,train sets etc

Train sets were only class if you spent the money to get extras, like stations, people and extra trains

I was deperate for a Hornby one and finally got one. One loop of track, one engine and 3 coaches. Hours of fun deciding wether to put it in forward or reverse.
For birthdays and christmas's onwards though I got more bits and it built up on a board in the garage. My dad and me made stations and tunnels and things, and in the end it was quite good. But a basic train set is definitely shite.

Train sets were only class if you spent the money to get extras, like stations, people and extra trains

I was deperate for a Hornby one and finally got one. One loop of track, one engine and 3 coaches. Hours of fun deciding wether to put it in forward or reverse.
For birthdays and christmas's onwards though I got more bits and it built up on a board in the garage. My dad and me made stations and tunnels and things, and in the end it was quite good. But a basic train set is definitely shite.
This is why I never bothered. Always looked class in the ads though, I remember wanting the Inter City 225. Joplings and Joseph's used to have some canny setups.

These used to piss me off...

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

The fuckin' proton gun was the wrong way round, with that daft stream emitting from the wrong end. This meant ya had to bite the stupid stream off, and put the gun on the ghostbuster's arm the opposite way round, which inevitably meant ya broke the little plastic arm straps as they weren't designed to go on that way.

Kenner obviously took us kids for mugs.

Mint toys though. My neighbour had the fire station. I had the helicopter but for the life of me I can't work out why on earth Ghostbusters needed one

Swingball. Not that bad but just a bit boring. Can you still get it cos haven't seen anyone play it for years. Most racket games on a beach or caravan site, where "rallies" last no more than 2 or 3 bats.
Evil Kenievel wind-up toy. Never did stunts like it was meant too.

Back