Towns in the North East that are complete shit herls

Rough as fuck near that Fram Street isnt it? Any amount of Albanian and Romanian gangbangers loitering around.

I can’t say I’ve heard anything about it being choice up there, the pubs look rough as owt like but I can’t say I use them either.

I don’t really know anyone over here to hear any crack like that either like so it could be going on for all I know.

Are we really confident that our town passes the test for a wonderful place to live while we merrily go about slagging off everywhere else in the local area.

Does anyone on here actually live in the town?

Been away for donkeys years but has Birtley been wiped out cos there hadn't been much of a mention. I mean to say, coming from Pelton i always felt i was slumming it. Mind you the buffs and Rex used to have good bands.

You be a canny lad all your life being 53 does not matter. I've live here all my life, all the vilages round Durham were so friendly the sense of comunity and freindship is hard to imagine now. Please to see you have not forgotten your roots. Say hello to your mam from a Durham lad

Gilesgate is Gods country not like that Newton Hall

I will Marra, due a game of dommies with her this morning, dementia or not she still beats me :lol:. She loves to hear of anyone i come across from Durham, along with memories of my Dad its the only other way in now. She just lights up and for a moment i have her back.
i'm from wheatley hill as was my dad, mam was from thornley. they've both passed away now but i've still got plenty of relatives there. as for kelloe, i have a few good mates from there. used to go to the baths there when i was a nipper.
i've got some great memories of wheatley hill. we lived down the seven streets (weardale) moved from there when they pulled them down. my uncle built a garage for him and my dad when we lived there and they're still standing at the bottom of the new estate or they were last time i had a mooch about.
wheatley hill is no different to all the other places that thatcher fucked over and it saddens me tbh.
anyway, apologies for rambling on but like others have said say hello to your mam from a random gadgy on the internet.
ask her if she remembers the anorak factory at wheatley hill :D

Thanks Marra, she has little memory for details like that but I’ll ask her and see what happens, you just never know. The weirdest things get through some times. I remember my Dad talking about the dardinels or something close to that, i think it was in relation to houses or a street / area of Wheatley Hill, does that mean anything to you?

This thread man, all I’ve done for a full day is think about all of the stories of “home” i heard as a kid, haven’t felt this close to my Dad for a long time, what an unexpected outcome from clicking on a thread without expectation. Its why i love this place, i come here daily and you never know if your going to laugh like a lunatic, cry like a baby or remember the past like it was yesterday, thanks again all, i know this thread wasn’t about memories but inadvertently it has put a huge smile on my face.

Last edited:
Walking around parts of sunderland is no different to any where else in the north east. Theres some good bits and bad bits. Suppose as its a city it escapes any criticism here?

Lived in Stanley a few year now, never venture to the centre really but our street is spot on, 2 mins from cycle track, beamish, causey arch etc. Canny views from the house and walks from the end of the street. Never had any bother. We will move eventually for schools but I'd probably stay if that wasnt a problem.

Last edited:
Billingham town centre looks like the abandoned area around the old Chernobyl plant.
You're so right.

E.g

A disused concrete bandstand
Retro 70s bingo hall complete with clapped out escalator,
Dark disused precinct with accompanying piss smell
Monstrous decaying concrete office blocks

And locals who look like the victims of a nuclear war
I will Marra, due a game of dommies with her this morning, dementia or not she still beats me :lol:. She loves to hear of anyone i come across from Durham, along with memories of my Dad its the only other way in now. She just lights up and for a moment i have her back.

Thanks Marra, she has little memory for details like that but I’ll ask her and see what happens, you just never know. The weirdest things get through some times. I remember my Dad talking about the dardinels or something close to that, i think it was in relation to houses or a street / area of Wheatley Hill, does that mean anything to you?

This thread man, all I’ve done for a full day is think about all of the stories of “home” i heard as a kid, haven’t felt this close to my Dad for a long time, what an unexpected outcome from clicking on a thread without expectation. Its why i love this place, i come here daily and you never know if your going to laugh like a lunatic, cry like a baby or remember the past like it was yesterday, thanks again all, i know this thread wasn’t about memories but inadvertently it has put a huge smile on my face.
What a fab post

this explains where the dardanelles were. it was just a nickname for the numbered colliery streets behind the front street. i only discovered this a few years ago as when i was a kid i always thought it was lynn terrace over the beck.
In 1987 I wrote to Mr Etherington

i know how hard dementia is to deal with. my mam suffered from it before she died. it's an awful disease. my mam was quite happy in her own little world. it can have an awful effect on the family and friends but the priority for me was to try to make her time as comfortable and happy as possible.

Statistically, I think Hartlepool is the most deprived, if not the most it’s gonna be up there.

The Walker area in Newcastle is tougher than 99.8% of England though.

Hartlepools marina is class - Stanley has no redeeming features - so the Durham shithole wins it for me

Some peoples junk is other peoples treasure.
Basically the vast majority of us will live in a town/city that has its fair share of, the good the bad and the downright ugly of places within. Some towns/cities will have more bad and ugly than good and some will have more good than bad and/or ugly.

However, for the people who live in those towns/cities, many will see it as better than what an outsider will make of it or maybe worse than what an outsider may make of it.
It's all about overall perception.

If the news tend to show some towns/cities in a bad light, most people will simply view it as that, whereas the residents may be up in arms about how it's portrayed.
The same will be with someone having a fleeting town/city visit. If they hit the right areas they may go away with the perception of it being top notch, which may be in contrast to someone who may have visited the less desirable areas in their fleeting visit.

I'm from Hartlepool and it seems to be low down on the desirable towns, to some. I agree it does have a lot of bad areas but it's not as bad as is made out, overall.

The thing is, the size of a city with a lot of bad areas will not look so bad when pitched against the good parts, because the bad parts can get swallowed up by the good areas.
Not so with smaller towns where there may be a small portion that is bad but still looks dodgy when you compare it to what's left in a small area.

I do waffle on....but....

Down with this common sense.
Hartlepools marina is class - Stanley has no redeeming features - so the Durham shithole wins it for me

Live near to Hart village. Stunning coastline and inland walks nearby. Houses nice but very affordable. Walkable decent pubs and schools. On the a19 in about 4 minutes.

Its probably impossible to name a town or city without a shithole part of it. Thats pretty much a councils remit to accomodate, even pikeys ffs.

Last edited:
I will Marra, Thornley was another place that was never far away from conversation, my Dad used to regail us with stories of his nights in all of the clubs and pubs in all of these villages (he used to sing in them) when he was a young man. My Mam still comes out with the odd thing relating to home (Durham) in moments of clarity, still calls me Hinny and tells me i'm a canny lad, even though i'm 53 bless her. Remembers Kelloe and how she met my Dad though, mind like a steel trap when it comes to that, who i am is a mystery to her :lol:.

Me and my two brothers have always felt closer to Durham than Doncaster, strange thing really, when we pass the Prince Bishops sign on the A1 on the way to the match the hair stands up on our necks, it'll always be "up home" as my parents referred to it, even though i never lived there.
Similar to me , my dad is from thornley , moved away in the 60s to west Yorkshire , ive been brought up on tales of the pit villages in the old days

Your posts on this thread have been a pleasure to read marra, an affirmation of the pride in where you belong.

Here’s a site you might enjoy, if you weren’t already aware of it.

Your posts on this thread have been a pleasure to read marra, an affirmation of the pride in where you belong.

that's a great site for a browse. i recognise some of the people from the 'photo's and some of the names.

Nail on head with Port Clarence - it’s probably the most random place I’ve ever been to

I did about 18 months on North Tees site so drove through port most days.

The waifs and strays drifting around at 0700hrs was some sight.

Leisure wear and slippers seemed entirely normal as did pushing a a double buggy while smoking a joint.

At that time of the morning, I used to wonder where they'd been with the baba and where were they going

this explains where the dardanelles were. it was just a nickname for the numbered colliery streets behind the front street. i only discovered this a few years ago as when i was a kid i always thought it was lynn terrace over the beck.
In 1987 I wrote to Mr Etherington

i know how hard dementia is to deal with. my mam suffered from it before she died. it's an awful disease. my mam was quite happy in her own little world. it can have an awful effect on the family and friends but the priority for me was to try to make her time as comfortable and happy as possible.

Thanks Marra, i give it a read, stuff just keeps coming back like the Dardanelles.

Exactly the same, she is in her own world with the odd moment of clarity, but she’s happy and wherever she is thats all that matters. Hard on the family but its not about us, it’s about her at this point. Sorry for your loss Marra.

Thanks again Marra, ill check the site out.

Last edited:
I used to do christmas shifts on the post when I was younger. What always surprised me was that the friendliest people often lived in the roughest parts

Newton Aycliffe had one estate that was pretty desperate, and yet the people were always so nice. I remember one old dear used to flag me down whenever she saw the van, then would offer me a slice of home made cake and ask if I would take a slice to the lady over the road for her.
I broke down on the same estate, and a really rough looking bloke was out in seconds to ask if I wanted a coffee while I waited.

Yet you would deliver to some really nice areas and you were lucky to get acknowledged

Back