Touring Europe

Mackem00

Striker
Me and our lass (no, LOLOL) were talking about spending a couple of weeks touring various European cities later on this year or next. Anyone done owt like that? Basically fly to Amsterdam or wherever then head east/south? Will want to plan it to an extent but not everything set in stone so allowing a bit of flexibility with time spent in different cities and that.

Any pleasant and helpful comments welcome. X

Trains are cheap and efficient, the internet will get you digs from your phone, couldn't be easier.

Don't try and do too much.

Did it in the 80s on interrail budget was £50 per week for EVERYTHING

Don't try and do too much.
I want to do something in a few years time around America, but the worry for me is the balance of seeing and doing stuff and actually enjoying it...whilst there I'd want to do as much as i can, but risk burning myself out rushing places and needing another holiday when i get back.

The daughter has been thinking about doing that. She planned on using the ferry to get to Amsterdam then using a combination of trains or flights to other places. Overnight sleeper trains would be a good way of saving on accommodation costs while moving large distances.

My main advice would be to travel light and not take millions of suitcases with you.

Maybe set a minimum stay in each place, possibly three days so at most you would be looking at five places to visit. Then chose your favourites or just things that you really want to see.

Try the website for the man in seat 61 for advice.

I want to do something in a few years time around America, but the worry for me is the balance of seeing and doing stuff and actually enjoying it...whilst there I'd want to do as much as i can, but risk burning myself out rushing places and needing another holiday when i get back.
That's exactly how I feel today & I was only in Orlando for 2 weeks:lol:

The daughter has been thinking about doing that. She planned on using the ferry to get to Amsterdam then using a combination of trains or flights to other places. Overnight sleeper trains would be a good way of saving on accommodation costs while moving large distances.

My main advice would be to travel light and not take millions of suitcases with you.

Maybe set a minimum stay in each place, possibly three days so at most you would be looking at five places to visit. Then chose your favourites or just things that you really want to see.

Try the website for the man in seat 61 for advice.
Looks a great website that. Cheers.

That's exactly how I feel today & I was only in Orlando for 2 weeks:lol:
Two weeks in Orlando?
Baffles the shite out of me why anyone would do that. I’m there for two days next week for work and that’s two days too long. Each to his own like.

As for Europe I would pick the places you really want to see then fill in the bits between, don’t try and race round seeing everything. I did an anti clockwise inter rail trip through Western Europe in 1990 including a World Cup match in Rome. Would love to revisit by car spending more time in the class places and skipping some others.

we are doing 3 weeks in america next year, originally as one long road trip, but the itinerary now has a 2 internal flights to skip out a couple of 1000 mile runs where there wasnt much we wanted to see. arguably might have been the best bits, but we've added more time to Grand Teton/Yellowstone and more days in New Orleans. gonna mix it up with hire cars, flights, trains, camping, airbnb, stopping with mates and a little room left for winging it

Go to california

Sorry mate. Fly to first destination then hoping to rail the rest of it.

I'd happily pay double that tbh Harry.
Haha. Different times!

we are doing 3 weeks in america next year, originally as one long road trip, but the itinerary now has a 2 internal flights to skip out a couple of 1000 mile runs where there wasnt much we wanted to see. arguably might have been the best bits, but we've added more time to Grand Teton/Yellowstone and more days in New Orleans. gonna mix it up with hire cars, flights, trains, camping, airbnb, stopping with mates and a little room left for winging it
I went to New Orleans, Vegas, and Los Angeles a few years ago was great

Me and our lass (no, LOLOL) were talking about spending a couple of weeks touring various European cities later on this year or next. Anyone done owt like that? Basically fly to Amsterdam or wherever then head east/south? Will want to plan it to an extent but not everything set in stone so allowing a bit of flexibility with time spent in different cities and that.

Obviously depends where in Europe you've already been but I'd miss out Amsterdam and fly to somewhere like Vienna then train on from there where it's cheap travel wise.

As said the man in seat 61 is an excellent website

Depending on where you want to go I can point you in the right direction of transport/digs etc around central Europe mate

Back