Tour de Pologne 2020: Massive crash disrupts stage 1

Only a year since Lambrecht was killed in the race. Looks pretty damning from the overhead but agree the punishment won’t be as severe as people are suggesting. Barriers should definitely be more robust than that.
I dont want to downplay the death of Lambrecht but that seemed like an oversight as bad as that sounds, not covering the concrete bollard (if Ive remembered it right, dont want to search for the video) todays was caused by Groenewegen doing the usual trick of every sprinter and closing the door (needs a much bigger punishment in general) but I put most of the blame at the feet of the race organiser, they know putting a downhill sprint on a narrow course is going to cause riders to elbow and barge each other but they do it as that gets people watching, they do it as they believe its worth the risk of injury to a rider, today has really shown its not worth the risk, id rather they they 20m apart battling it out.

I dont want to downplay the death of Lambrecht but that seemed like an oversight as bad as that sounds, not covering the concrete bollard (if Ive remembered it right, dont want to search for the video) todays was caused by Groenewegen doing the usual trick of every sprinter and closing the door (needs a much bigger punishment in general) but I put most of the blame at the feet of the race organiser, they know putting a downhill sprint on a narrow course is going to cause riders to elbow and barge each other but they do it as that gets people watching, they do it as they believe its worth the risk of injury to a rider, today has really shown its not worth the risk, id rather they they 20m apart battling it out.
Lambrecht`s crash was weird. He just seemed to shoot sideways out of the peloton on a perfectly straight road and crashed into the concrete roadside ditch from what I remember

The camera angle from behind looks even worse. It clearly shows groenewegen squeezing him against the barriers but then sticks the elbow out too. Awful crash.

Back