Tour de France 2020

any reason?

Honestly, there's nothing specific, from what I saw Movistar was just dysfunctional, the multiple leaders idea only works if you have leaders who are willing to throw their chances away to help the other. They seem more focused on winning the team classifications than anything else now. Whether it's that or possibly even that he's already past his peak at 30. May even just be the way I saw it. I've only been watching the tour properly since 2014 and cycling in general a year after there's still absolutely shed loads I don't get.

There's a bit of a Zoetemelk about him, more than capable of doing it but just so happens his peak coincides with another rider.

Quintana's released a statement:
In connection with the latest developments I would like to clarify the following:

The French gendarmerie carried out an operation in the hotel where my team was staying on Wednesday 16th September in Meribel, after the stage of the Tour de France had finished. On that day the authorities entered my room and seized vitamin supplements that were perfectly legal, although perhaps not familiar to the French authorities. This is the main reason why it has taken time to clear up everything that happened.

To avoid any doubt, I would like to confirm that no doping substances were ever found.

I would also like to clear up a misunderstanding: neither during the recent Tour, nor during any other previous race, I have never consulted assistants or staff who were not part of the team. I do not have, and have never had, anything to hide.

Yesterday, by appointment of the French authorities – and voluntarily – I appeared before the public prosecutor's office to answer each and every one of their questions clearly and with a clear conscience. In this respect, it must be stressed that I have not been the subject of any accusation by the authorities. For my part, I am, and I will be ready to answer any questions from the prosecutor, as I did on Monday and today.

I, Nairo Quintana, have been a clean cyclist throughout my sporting life and I have an impeccable biological passport. I want to make it clear to the public, to my fans and to the followers of cycling that never in all my career - junior, under-23 and professional - have I used illegal substances that improve my sporting performance and that betray the principles of sport.

For the time being, a preliminary investigation is being carried out, I have answered all the questions and doubts and I am willing to continue doing so on a voluntary basis until the whole situation has been clarified on the basis that I have never used doping substances and no illegal substances were found in the police investigation.

I, without fear, will continue to be strong, I will defend the truth and I will continue on my way, even if the crowd, at times, takes another direction.

Your friend,

Nairo Quintana

Back