Tough situation, need advice

I moved away from the north east 5 years ago when I was 21 to be with my mrs in the Midlands, I realise now that I was just a kid and I never really thought it through properly. My GF was battling leukaemia at the time and I felt like I had to be there for her and look after her so I moved in with her and her mam and dad. It’s a big house and we don’t tread on each other’s toes, plenty of space etc...

Thankfully these days my mrs is in good health however we still live with her mam and dad although we have started to save a substantial amount of money for a deposit on our own house.

The problem is since Xmas I’ve become really homesick. Every time I return to the north east to see my parents etc... it breaks my heart to leave again. I’ve queried whether my GF will move up with me but she has categorically stated that she will not even entertain the idea.

So I’m kind of stuck in limbo, I’m quite miserable tbf. I count down the days until I’m able to go back home to see my family. I’ve started to think about giving my GF an ultimatum - you can either move up with me or I’ll go by myself. Of course this would break both our hearts.

Anyone ever been in a similar situation?

Sounds to me like you need lots of other things to look forward to. Plan things that the pair of you can do together. Make new memories in different places around the UK.
You might find that the both of you want to move somewhere different.

It's tough to move away from home but there's things to consider.
1. What is left for you up home / or more to the point - who?
2. Have you personally established any connections in the West Midlands? New friends etc?
3. What would be the benefit to you both for moving up to the north east?

If you're both quite flexible with work etc, there's no real reason why she couldn't maybe do 6 months in the North East is there? At least if she gave it a go, you would both know for sure.
My mate and his Mrs had this problem but she came to Manchester to live with him for a year or so I think but now they're relocating back to the West Midlands - ironically!
He has family in the Manchester/Cheshire way, but no one else I think. He has more mates in West Mids than in Manc so he's looking for work down there.

I moved away from the north east 5 years ago when I was 21 to be with my mrs in the Midlands, I realise now that I was just a kid and I never really thought it through properly. My GF was battling leukaemia at the time and I felt like I had to be there for her and look after her so I moved in with her and her mam and dad. It’s a big house and we don’t tread on each other’s toes, plenty of space etc...

Thankfully these days my mrs is in good health however we still live with her mam and dad although we have started to save a substantial amount of money for a deposit on our own house.

The problem is since Xmas I’ve become really homesick. Every time I return to the north east to see my parents etc... it breaks my heart to leave again. I’ve queried whether my GF will move up with me but she has categorically stated that she will not even entertain the idea.

So I’m kind of stuck in limbo, I’m quite miserable tbf. I count down the days until I’m able to go back home to see my family. I’ve started to think about giving my GF an ultimatum - you can either move up with me or I’ll go by myself. Of course this would break both our hearts.

Anyone ever been in a similar situation?
Bin her. Follow your gut feeling.

Back