Totalbiscuit RIP and cancer

mikemanc

Striker
A youtube gaming critic called Totalbiscuit passed away last night due to bowel cancer. His name is John Bain and he's a 33 year old from Spenymoor who did really well for himself across in the States and leaves behind a wife and son. I know there's a thread about him in the gaming section but I hope the mods will be a bit lenient on me as I wanted to share this video he made talking about his battle with cancer.

It really opened my eyes to a few things I didn't about the treatment and how it affects you and shows how much he battled against the odds and kept it at bay far longer than any expectations. Most importantly he talks about how he suffered from symptoms for a year before he sought medical advice, this allowed the cancer to spread to other parts of his body. He didn't seek advice because he was embarrassed about the symptoms. If you take nothing away from this thread other than this, for your own sake if you are suffering from any symptoms don't just assume it will get better or ignore it, please get it checked out. Sorry for a bit of waffle.

I've never seen any of his stuff, it's sad that embarrassment, male bravado or fear stopped him seeking medical assistance earlier.
I know from personal experience that it was my last resort to go and see my GP for the finger bum, but it wasn't too bad.

A youtube gaming critic called Totalbiscuit passed away last night due to bowel cancer. His name is John Bain and he's a 33 year old from Spenymoor who did really well for himself across in the States and leaves behind a wife and son. I know there's a thread about him in the gaming section but I hope the mods will be a bit lenient on me as I wanted to share this video he made talking about his battle with cancer.

It really opened my eyes to a few things I didn't about the treatment and how it affects you and shows how much he battled against the odds and kept it at bay far longer than any expectations. Most importantly he talks about how he suffered from symptoms for a year before he sought medical advice, this allowed the cancer to spread to other parts of his body. He didn't seek advice because he was embarrassed about the symptoms. If you take nothing away from this thread other than this, for your own sake if you are suffering from any symptoms don't just assume it will get better or ignore it, please get it checked out. Sorry for a bit of waffle.
Good post, mate.

Still probably wouldn't get checked, if I ever develop any symptoms, like.

Being a big gaming spenk I knew who he was. Wasn't a huge fan but quite liked what he did and was aware of what he'd been going though over the last 3 years or so.

Nee age, RIP

I would ‘like’ the original post but I didn’t think that it was appropriate.

But thank you for sharing @mikemanc dud you know him personally?
No problem, I understand where you're coming from. I don't know the lad, I just watched some of his videos over the years and thought that one deserved a wider audience, I know a lot of people aren't bothered about gaming so would have missed this.

No problem, I understand where you're coming from. I don't know the lad, I just watched some of his videos over the years and thought that one deserved a wider audience, I know a lot of people aren't bothered about gaming so would have missed this.

That's no age at all, poor lad :(

Not a gaming fan but if it helps other people to seek advice about their health then it's a good thing.

No need to be embarrassed as medical staff have seen it all before. I read something by a nurse who does cervical smears. The gist of it was that she doesn't care how tidy your pubic area is, if you have hairy legs or a hole in your sock etc. She just wants to get in there, do her bit and put you out of your embarrassment as quickly as possible.

Good post and thanks for posting OP. I know it's a different topic but I've just found out a lad from school died last year from suicide who was 37. I'm sat having a pint feeling canny sad, RIP to them both.

I have to have one every year (September) due to a genetic connective tissue disease. Cant wait tbh nothing to it in all honesty, plus you get to watch a round of Pan's Labyrinth around your bowels and colon. No sedation for me.

As a side note, If you've generally got stomach issues, constipation, diarrhoea, gas, go to your Doctor. Do not start looking on Google, as it will convince you that you definitely have cancer, no matter what your symptoms are.

Currently waiting on blood tests for coeliac, various intolerances etc.
Good luck mate, hope all's well

I had the screening done a few years ago, camera up ya jacksy thing. Wasn't looking forward to it at all, mainly embarrassment really. Walked into the room in a backless apron to 1 middle aged nurse and about 4 young lasses,gulp, they were great though and put me at my ease. So just get it done lads.
RIP to the young lad as well.

As a side note, If you've generally got stomach issues, constipation, diarrhoea, gas, go to your Doctor. Do not start looking on Google, as it will convince you that you definitely have cancer, no matter what your symptoms are.

Currently waiting on blood tests for coeliac, various intolerances etc.

Hope all is ok xx

If you need anything, give me a shout. I think I've been through most of those tests!

Terrible needless death
Not sure what we can do to encourage(mainly men) to go to see Drs
Random visit at a workplace? In pubs even if its for BP test
I was one and i was lucky. Looking back it was ridiculous.ill for about 9 month with different little things and didnt go
Forced to go my Mrs(no) in the end. Literally saved my life. Shes also good with the kids so i kept her :):lol:

Back