Top of the pops

bbc4 was showing it at half 7 on a thursday night, but seems to have stopped... was going week by week through 1987 very recently.

bbc4 was showing it at half 7 on a thursday night, but seems to have stopped... was going week by week through 1987 very recently.
No it’s still on as far as I know. Had the 1988 overview in the other week. I’ve got it on series record...some weeks they bump it off

No it’s still on as far as I know. Had the 1988 overview in the other week. I’ve got it on series record...some weeks they bump it off
ta... will look out for it again, was a proper nostalgia trip each thursday night - gary davis had a decent wardrobe of bad outfits back in the day!

TOTP was obviously a barometer of what was going on in the charts. Whilst when I was young you had variety like the OP says and decent stuff did occasionally get in the charts, these days it would be vile. At the risk of sounding like an old bloke :p most stuff in the charts today sounds pretty much the same. Tuneless, Jamaican fellas lazily droning over some loops they’ve knocked together in GarageBand. Not that I actually know what’s in the charts but my young un puts Capital on in the car and it’s vile. So don’t know if a TOTP style programme could ever work again.
It’s something like The Tube they should bring back!

Back