Top 3 Simon & Garfunkel ?

He puts a lot of effort into his lyrics which sometimes isn’t acknowledged as it seems so effortless. Mind you it’s acknowledged in sales n money. Every S&G album sold more than the Stones biggest selling album and Mick n Keef live well on spliting the songwriting royalties plus there were five in the Stones whereas.......

Pervy ffs.
That can't be right. Wednesday Morning barely sold at all.
That's a Paul Simon solo song from his self-titled debut album. I know he's performed it with Garfunkle live but I wouldn't call it a S&G song personally.
You mean his second solo album.

Last edited:

Cannit get away with bridge over troubled water. It's obviously good but to me it's a bit too religious and positive. I've never liked it.
It's gotta gospel feel about it, but I don't think it's overtly religious, especially compared to some of his others. For a little Jewish kid he didn't half incorporate a lot of Christian themes, particularly early on.
"Paul Simon" was his second album?

Oh fair enough. What was his first?
The Paul Simon Songbook of course.

Last edited:

Well, roll me for a nickel and stick me for the extra dime, I never knew that.

Any good?

I'm not into his more folky stuff like the S&G stuff but I love Paranoia Blues and Me And Julio from the Paul Simon album, and also the amazing Graceland album. My knowledge of his works is very limited beyond that. You Can Call Me Al is amazing as well. The missus and I still listen to that (and watch the video on YouTube) quite regularly on a pissed-up Friday evening.

Well, roll me for a nickel and stick me for the extra dime, I never knew that.

Any good?

I'm not into his more folky stuff like the S&G stuff but I love Paranoia Blues and Me And Julio from the Paul Simon album, and also the amazing Graceland album. My knowledge of his works is very limited beyond that. You Can Call Me Al is amazing as well. The missus and I still listen to that (and watch the video on YouTube) quite regularly on a pissed-up Friday evening.
It's class aye. Just him, a guitar and his songs.

It's class aye. Just him, a guitar and his songs.

Hmm, might not quite be my cup of tea if it's just him and a guitar. Prefer him with a band. Are you a connoisseur of his work? If so could you recommend which of his albums I might prefer based on my description above?

Hmm, might not quite be my cup of tea if it's just him and a guitar. Prefer him with a band. Are you a connoisseur of his work? If so could you recommend which of his albums I might prefer based on my description above?
I'm more interested in his time with Art to be honest - and Songbook is sort of like a sketchbook of S&G songs that fell between the failure of the first S&G record and the success of the second, so it's mostly older songs re-recorded without Art, and early versions of songs he'd go onto re-record with Art.

I'm not as well versed on his solo career but There Goes Rhymin' Simon is canny, is Paul Simon. Graceland has it's moment's but I've never been completely taken with it to be honest.

For me, he was at his best with Art.

Maybe at the time?
Just summit I read when they were having a reunion.
Still be amazed if it was true - first couple of Stones records went gold. I imagine the other four S&G albums did well - some very well - but the first bombed.

According to this the Stones' 2nd album outsold Parsley...

Sounds & Bookends higher though.
For them that like the Boxer, there's an extra verse they never used but Joan Baez sings it in her cover of the song.
They sang it in Central Park - I've always sang it whenever I play it, it's quite amusing seeing the puzzled expression on people's faces.

Last edited:
Top three for me would be...

1. Homeward Bound
2. The 59th Street Bridge
3. The Boxer
I'm not as well versed on his solo career but There Goes Rhymin' Simon is canny, is Paul Simon.
Live Rhymin, is an excellent concert album when cherry picking his best songs...

Last edited:
I'm more interested in his time with Art to be honest - and Songbook is sort of like a sketchbook of S&G songs that fell between the failure of the first S&G record and the success of the second, so it's mostly older songs re-recorded without Art, and early versions of songs he'd go onto re-record with Art.

I'm not as well versed on his solo career but There Goes Rhymin' Simon is canny, is Paul Simon. Graceland has it's moment's but I've never been completely taken with it to be honest.

For me, he was at his best with Art.

Ah, fair enough. I guess I'll have to go exploring one day to find more of the other side of his stuff.

Looking through the Wiki pages for his albums, I think I might like his early 80's stuff. Loads of great session musicians I'm familiar with on the couple of albums before Graceland.

Didn't realise until this moment (or I'd forgotten at some point since its release) that You Can Call Me Al is on Graceland. I thought it came earlier and my memory of Graceland is that it was less pop and more ethnic than YCCMA. Weird. Losing my mind in my old age. ;)

A vote for The Sparrow ...not because I particularly like it but because it reminds me of listening to John Peel’s Perfumed Garden when I was a boy - I had no idea what he was on about but he played it a lot.

Back