Tool

While on the subject of APC and covers, their version of Imagine is awesome. A very different slant on it. It's like the anti-Imagine. Cynical and desperate rather than optimistic and idealistic.

Yeah just saw it on the Wiki page. The guy that was in both Failure and APC played on a few tracks on that same album but interestingly not on that cover.

I’ve just clicked that failure did a cover of enjoy the silence, one of my favourite songs to train to :lol:

While us Tool fans are sitting ,anyone heard these !!

I love Tricot! Can't believe anyone else on the SMB has even heard of them!

If you like them, try LITE too.

You tube stuff can be woeful quality wise and as much as i think some of their stuff is some of the best my ears have heard i skip others.Sometimes i've totally got a song of theirs then its missed the other 9 times .To me that says there's massive amounts of complexity and depth to it and you have to pick your moment i think .I hate prog rock,perhaps this is prog rock but there's no lost worlds and capes and gardens of evermore etc so i've missed the connection.You're correct it has no sing a longs or hooks or rarely anyway ,thats why i hate musicals . They're fairly niche and no ones saying otherwise

Incidentally, I really dislike this generalisation that all prog rock is capes and elves. That sort of stuff really is a very small segment of prog rock (and non-prog rock), and isn't representative of the genre as a whole.

Tool is definitely a type of progressive rock in that their music is a type of rock that is progressive, i.e. not repetitive.

I've had this conversation on here before and the conclusion that I came to was that the definition has changed over the years but as far as I'm concerned the term "progressive" literally means that the music progresses rather than repeats the defining motifs in the exact same way every time you hear them. I.E. it's not just "standard" song structure of verse-bridge-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus-middle8-(optional verse/bridge)-chorus-end, it instead takes more influence from classical music composition techniques.

Last edited:
I love Tricot! Can't believe anyone else on the SMB has even heard of them!

If you like them, try LITE too.

Incidentally, I really dislike this generalisation that all prog rock is capes and elves. That sort of stuff really is a very small segment of prog rock (and non-prog rock), and isn't representative of the genre as a whole.

Tool is definitely a type of progressive rock in that their music is a type of rock that is progressive, i.e. not repetitive.

I've had this conversation on here before and the conclusion that I came to was that the definition has changed over the years but as far as I'm concerned the term "progressive" literally means that the music progresses rather than repeats the defining motifs in the exact same way every time you hear them. I.E. it's not just "standard" song structure of verse-bridge-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus-middle8-(optional verse/bridge)-chorus-end, it instead takes more influence from classical music composition techniques.
Yeah ,you've had it with me ,I disagree with your interpretation of Prog rock and really if you talk genre you talk generalisation. Discipline by King crimson is repetitive but would be appear to be prog or who knows what

Yeah ,you've had it with me ,I disagree with your interpretation of Prog rock and really if you talk genre you talk generalisation. Discipline by King crimson is repetitive but would be appear to be prog or who knows what

Yeah, this is the problem. I think the idea of "genre" is at best unhelpful to potential listeners. It's surely better to put such ideas aside and judge each artist for their own merits rather than prejudging them by the genre within which they supposedly exist.

Yeah, this is the problem. I think the idea of "genre" is at best unhelpful to potential listeners. It's surely better to put such ideas aside and judge each artist for their own merits rather than prejudging them by the genre within which they supposedly exist.
Think we do as in us but many don't ,it helps find potential listeners i suppose.Even the Youtube "next" feature has brought up some gems for me so can't complain .I don't like any other metal type band other than Tool.In saying that i don't think they sound like anybody .I heard Aenema and that was it.

I strongly recommend that you check out Lotus by Soen which is out on 1st February. I received an advance copy to review and it is stunning. It features the drummer from Opeth/Amon Amarth and bassist from Testament. It`s dark, heavy, atmospheric, beautiful and so melodic.

After all this time waiting for it, I bet it's shit and I end up being more disappointed than I have ever been of any album I've been excited about being released in my whole life. :lol:

I really hope it's more Lateralus and less 10000 Days. : prayingtothegodsofROCKsmiley :

After all this time waiting for it, I bet it's shit and I end up being more disappointed than I have ever been of any album I've been excited about being released in my whole life. :lol:

I really hope it's more Lateralus and less 10000 Days. : prayingtothegodsofROCKsmiley :

There is that fear like. :lol:

11 years between albums doesn't usually end well. And even though they never officially split up, 8 years without working together is the same in all but name.

I’ve really tried to get into Lateralus as a starting point, but I just can’t. The musicianship is beyond question, but it’s just too heavy for my tastes. It’s not awful, just not something I’d personally want to listen to.

I can’t be arsed with difficult music though.

You should check out some other bands in the Prog category, it might change your view of it being ‘self indulgent wankery’!

It’s a huge genre covering every musical influence you can think of. My personal favourite is Arena, their stuff has just the right balance of keyboards and guitars, and Clive Nolan is a genius. Very melodic stuff.

Last edited:

Back