Tool

I’ve really tried to get into Lateralus as a starting point, but I just can’t. The musicianship is beyond question, but it’s just too heavy for my tastes. It’s not awful, just not something I’d personally want to listen to.

You should check out some other bands in the Prog category, it might change your view of it being ‘self indulgent wankery’!

It’s a huge genre covering every musical influence you can think of. My personal favourite is Arena, their stuff has just the right balance of keyboards and guitars, and Clive Nolan is a genius. Very melodic stuff.
Nope, it’s all self indulgent wankery

I’ve really tried to get into Lateralus as a starting point, but I just can’t. The musicianship is beyond question, but it’s just too heavy for my tastes. It’s not awful, just not something I’d personally want to listen to.

You should check out some other bands in the Prog category, it might change your view of it being ‘self indulgent wankery’!

It’s a huge genre covering every musical influence you can think of. My personal favourite is Arena, their stuff has just the right balance of keyboards and guitars, and Clive Nolan is a genius. Very melodic stuff.
Lateralus, for me, is the best album ever and I'm very unlikely to ever change that opinion. Not a wasted second on that album.

I love Tricot! Can't believe anyone else on the SMB has even heard of them!

If you like them, try LITE too.

Incidentally, I really dislike this generalisation that all prog rock is capes and elves. That sort of stuff really is a very small segment of prog rock (and non-prog rock), and isn't representative of the genre as a whole.

Tool is definitely a type of progressive rock in that their music is a type of rock that is progressive, i.e. not repetitive.

I've had this conversation on here before and the conclusion that I came to was that the definition has changed over the years but as far as I'm concerned the term "progressive" literally means that the music progresses rather than repeats the defining motifs in the exact same way every time you hear them. I.E. it's not just "standard" song structure of verse-bridge-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus-middle8-(optional verse/bridge)-chorus-end, it instead takes more influence from classical music composition techniques.
I've heard of Tricot. Apple Music recommended them to me, strangely!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lateralus, for me, is the best album ever and I'm very unlikely to ever change that opinion. Not a wasted second on that album.

Satisfying when you hit gold, isn’t it! Finding what you truly love in music is one of the most fulfilling achievements. I hate to think of all the bands I’ve never heard that I’d love. I have albums I love so much I could listen to over and over again all day, it’s probably the same for you.

We could live a hundred lives and still miss out on something wonderful. Music never gets boring, or at least it shouldn’t.

Satisfying when you hit gold, isn’t it! Finding what you truly love in music is one of the most fulfilling achievements. I hate to think of all the bands I’ve never heard that I’d love. I have albums I love so much I could listen to over and over again all day, it’s probably the same for you.

We could live a hundred lives and still miss out on something wonderful. Music never gets boring, or at least it shouldn’t.
Music, to me, is like real life magic in the fact that it can evoke so much feeling and a host of different emotions. It's great when you hear a track that gets the hairs on your arms standing on edge.

I’ll give them a good listen to and report back.

Well worth it mate, honestly. Once you get to that point of familiarity when your brain knows what's coming every step of the way it's astoundingly rewarding music.

It's just tough to get there at first.

Song in the OP. I don't dislike the intro, but too few changes to be as long.
Only listening on phone so could be worse when clearer.

4:59 a little lift from Rodriguez-Lopez "Enfilade".

It sounds like somebody is doing a clapperboard "Action" announcement to herald the next bit and the next bit, with a pause, too.

Me too.

A bit pretentious if you ask me. Kind of invites a second coming of punk.

All art is pretentious. The only truly unpretentious artist is one that never makes any art.

Having grander, more inventive ideas that they can actually create doesn't make someone more pretentious, it just makes them more proficient artists.

We should marvel at these people and learn from them, not criticise them for being too proficient at their art.

All art is pretentious. The only truly unpretentious artist is one that never makes any art.

Having grander, more inventive ideas that they can actually create doesn't make someone more pretentious, it ju
st makes them more proficient artists.

We should marvel at these people and learn from them, not criticise them for being too proficient at their art.
Eh ? It makes them great writers ,plenty out there who have great ideas and realise it through others
Pretentious in music is putting it on ,angst ,happiness, anger,sorrow etc
Sticks out a mile .Plenty write stuff and mean it

Back