Took the first step on Monday

To confront my depression and PTSD and went to the doctor's for the first time In 5 years! And to be honest the doctor was excellent and listened in-between my sobbing to what was going on. He prescribed anti depressants and a self referral to the Sunderland psychological well-being center. I phoned them today after worrying about it since Monday but ended up talking to the nice woman and have an appointment next week! I've never suffered this much mentally and lots of things have just come to a head! Marriage breakdown/ grief/ health. Just hasn't helped so I hope taking this step does good! Thanks.

Good on you hope it goes well for you

Good luck.

To confront my depression and PTSD and went to the doctor's for the first time In 5 years! And to be honest the doctor was excellent and listened in-between my sobbing to what was going on. He prescribed anti depressants and a self referral to the Sunderland psychological well-being center. I phoned them today after worrying about it since Monday but ended up talking to the nice woman and have an appointment next week! I've never suffered this much mentally and lots of things have just come to a head! Marriage breakdown/ grief/ health. Just hasn't helped so I hope taking this step does good! Thanks.
Best of luck marra.👍

Very brave.

I’ve never understood this until really today. It made me really think about ptsd.

I can’t look at beetroot. As I kid a dinner lady made me eat it and I was sick.
It’s never crossed my mind since.
My mrs got a fresh one other day left it in the fridge and I was nearly physically sick.

THEN I THOUGHT what must it be actually like if I had a real trauma or situation in my life. It actually took me by surprise.

Good luck mate, you must be on the right track. 👍

Iv been suffering with it for 12 years I'm not fixed be any means but understanding goes a long way, talk talk talk always loads of support

Its for clinicians but a huge amount of information if understanding is what you are wanting.

Well done mate. The first steps are always the most daunting. Keep the momentum going and things will start to improve.

in my experience, depression and other associated mental health issues are rarely 'fixed' but with the right tools can be managed affectively. I know this first hand.

Keep going and post in the Health and Wellbeing forum. Everyone is supportive there and I've picked up some great coping mechanisms from reading other folks posts.

Best wishes.

Superb stuff mate. Rooting for you. You're more in control of things than you probably think you are at the moment, but take it step by step.

Mental health is big issue to me I have a partner who has mental health problems & it's hard to recover from it you can only take small steps at the time you get to a level where you can cope with it . You will get there it just takes time .

How did you get on Monday @offshore?

How are you doing now?

Please feel free to not share of its too personal.
Had my first phone call from the phycologist mate and went through a questionnaire thing and the problems I'm going through and they have recommended high intensity cognitive behavioural therapy. So hopefully within 6/8 weeks I should have my first one. It was good to talk through things but also difficult at times but she was very good indeed and gave me time to get what I was saying across. I've got a phone appointment with the doctor's early next week about the medication ( doesn't seem to be doing much so far) and they should recommend increasing the dose. But hopefully in the next few weeks I start to feel a bit more like myself and get a more positive look on things and life.

Had my first phone call from the phycologist mate and went through a questionnaire thing and the problems I'm going through and they have recommended high intensity cognitive behavioural therapy. So hopefully within 6/8 weeks I should have my first one. It was good to talk through things but also difficult at times but she was very good indeed and gave me time to get what I was saying across. I've got a phone appointment with the doctor's early next week about the medication ( doesn't seem to be doing much so far) and they should recommend increasing the dose. But hopefully in the next few weeks I start to feel a bit more like myself and get a more positive look on things and life.
Glad to hear it. Different things work for different people and different situations.

I paid for a counsellor, not specifically a grief councillor but it was grief I was struggling with after the death of my sister and I found it incredibly helpful.

Sounds like you have the right attitude and are open to trying everything out so onwards and upwards. Feel free to have a chat any time.

Back