Took the first step on Monday

offshore

Midfield
To confront my depression and PTSD and went to the doctor's for the first time In 5 years! And to be honest the doctor was excellent and listened in-between my sobbing to what was going on. He prescribed anti depressants and a self referral to the Sunderland psychological well-being center. I phoned them today after worrying about it since Monday but ended up talking to the nice woman and have an appointment next week! I've never suffered this much mentally and lots of things have just come to a head! Marriage breakdown/ grief/ health. Just hasn't helped so I hope taking this step does good! Thanks.

As the GP said to me when I went to see him many moons ago "You've done the hardest thing, you've admitted you have problem and you want to get better".
Or words to that effect. Great bloke that GP.

Well done for taking the first step. Onward and upwards from here on.
Hope so mate! I've never felt like this before and at 49 i never thought I would.

To confront my depression and PTSD and went to the doctor's for the first time In 5 years! And to be honest the doctor was excellent and listened in-between my sobbing to what was going on. He prescribed anti depressants and a self referral to the Sunderland psychological well-being center. I phoned them today after worrying about it since Monday but ended up talking to the nice woman and have an appointment next week! I've never suffered this much mentally and lots of things have just come to a head! Marriage breakdown/ grief/ health. Just hasn't helped so I hope taking this step does good! Thanks.
Well done mate. That first step isn't easy. Hopefully you can get some good help and be on the mend soon.

Well done on getting the hardest part done. Onwards and upwards!

Keep chatting on the depression thread. We're all with you on this journey. Look after yourself mate xx

Well done mate. Stay strong fella

They are lovely at the Psychologial well being centre. They signposted me to weekly counselling through Sunderland Counselling Service and they were excellent. Good luck to you and honestly you're not alone. Talking really helps.

Nice one mate , will get you fixed up eventually . PTSD treatment is not easy but its bearable and worth it to be free of the symptoms. Stick with it 👍

Nice one mate , will get you fixed up eventually . PTSD treatment is not easy but its bearable and worth it to be free of the symptoms. Stick with it 👍
Obviously it’ll all be explained to you at the time, but don’t be surprised to come out of the first few PTSD sessions feeling like shite. As @Yahrba says, stick with it as it’s worth it.

A very basic comparison is starting physical rehabilitation for an injury. There’s a chance it’s going to hurt and exhaust you to begin with but it’s all worth it for the injury to be repaired.

I took my first step in August, broke down at work and knew I needed to do something about it. Felt like I wanted to jump out of a moving car. Thankfully it all remained as a thought but talking it over with the doctor and getting someone to just listen to me made all the difference. Opened up with my husband straight away and other close family members none of which had any idea how I felt and said I hid it well. I k ow I k ow have their full support and I'm making massive changes for my own health now.

Good luck to you and we'll done for stepping out. X

Obviously it’ll all be explained to you at the time, but don’t be surprised to come out of the first few PTSD sessions feeling like shite. As @Yahrba says, stick with it as it’s worth it.

A very basic comparison is starting physical rehabilitation for an injury. There’s a chance it’s going to hurt and exhaust you to begin with but it’s all worth it for the injury to be repaired.
What i would add is thar depending on the severity and impact it might be necessary to do some preliminary stabilisation work to make sure lifes ok and stable ( sleep , self care , external supports , alcohol use , positive behaviours) before bringing up trauma stuff. The service will handle It all and advise though

Back