Too Good for League One

Last season in Lg1 total spending on incoming transfer fees was around £5m.

We probably accounted for 95% of this.

You don't have to pay fees in the league to get out of it.

Wage and length of contract is the most important factor which with our revenues we should be able to match any other team in this league and championship clubs who do not have parachute money.

Avoid up front payments in transfer fees and then use the money (parachute loan) repaid by Madrox as the war chest in the Championship. Quite sensible.

It is, albeit with parachute payments running out it is vital we go up so I hope they will spend if the right player is available. I'm sure they will, they did last season, like many others I wish we'd spend on getting Maddison in as an example. Looking at his stats from last season he seems to have the creativity that we were desperately lacking, it's possible that if we get him we might not even need another striker, he might help unlock the ones we have. Plus him and McGeady together would naturally get us on the front foot more because teams couldn't afford to give them space. There might be a reason why we aren't going for him, but if someone like that is available I hope they'll still spend sensibly to massively increase our chances of going up

Clubs down here don't spend much because they haven't got any money. Last season we were the exception. But the season before that only £3m was spend by the whole division. Players don't sign long contacts and move about a bit. So the majority of our signings will be free transfers on 2 year deals.

Willis signing (and others) clearly reveals strategy of promotion on the cheap and saving funds to be competitive for the next level.

Players who are too good for League One and confidently letting their contracts run out knowing that a Championship club will come bidding

Fill our gaps with a few more like this and it will be a good summer. Cynics will cast the owners in a bad light but it makes sense.

How many more like this are left?

It's not really strange though is it. Unsurprisingly, the better a player is, the more he is likely to cost.

the meaning of my post mate, was that if he had 2 years left on his contract, and we had paid 6 million for him, that doesn't make him a better player than we git him for nothing because his contract was up ;)

Back