Tony (TS) McPhee RIP

I was at that gig, around Christmas time iirc. Actually went to see Gentle Giant, but the Groundhogs didn't half make an impression on 17 year old me.
I thought Stray played Gentle Giant off the stage!... Seem to remember a lead guitarist dressed in a white suit covered in tiny mirrors? That with all the lights was sending stuff off all ower the place!!...
Saw Groundhogs at the City Hall a few years later - my long memory now is shot, but still must have been early 70's... was only about 6 rows back from the front, and on the right-hand side of the stage... they finished their set with Thank Christ For the Bomb, which was stupendous.. but walked off the stage with the ending "bomb explosions" still running... and the volume jacked up!... I was deaf in one ear for at least two days afterwards!.... glorious concert! :)
RIP Tony
Split and Thank Christ for the bomb are still regularly played in my house.
Don't know if you still have a deck, but the Fire Records re-releases of both on vinyl are well worth the money for the sound improvement... and the extras! :)

Last edited:
I thought Stray played Gentle Giant off the stage!... Seem to remember a lead guitarist dressed in a white suit covered in tiny mirrors? That with all the lights was sending stuff off all ower the place!!...
Saw Groundhogs at the City Hall a few years later - my long memory now is shot, but still must have been early 70's... was only about 6 rows back from the front, and on the right-hand side of the stage... they finished their set with Thank Christ For the Bomb, which was stupendous.. but walked off the stage with the ending "bomb explosions" still running... and the volume jacked up!... I was deaf in one ear for at least two days afterwards!.... glorious concert! :)

Don't know if you still have a deck, but the Fire Records re-releases of both on vinyl are well worth the money for the sound improvement... and the extras! :)
Nah I don’t have a deck but these extras sound interesting.

Nah I don’t have a deck but these extras sound interesting.
Can't remember them all off hand... and some are as you would expect limited by the recording media of the time.... from recollection the best ones are from the re-release of Thank Christ For the Bomb... and Split :)

I saw him (can’t remember if it was solo or as a version of the groundhogs) probably early 90s and probably the boilermakers (or whatever that was called at the time) . Very good , though sadly not a band I’ve ever gone back and sought out their back catalogue.
RIP

Back