Tony Davison has a new job

I think the line about wanting to be near his family is the truth. If you've ever done a job a fair distance from home, particularly if you're weekly commuting, it's phenomenally hard on the family, especially if you have young kids. There comes a point where for the good of everybody, you have to do something else not as destructive to yourself of your family.
This. I work travel to, and work in, London three days a week every week. I have two kids under 4 and it's a hard slog sometimes, but the other two days of the week I work from home so take the rough with the smooth. If Mr Davison was either daily commuting, or staying away from home all week, I've done both and neither are sustainable.

i think the more prosaic answer is-yes he knew the commute would be tough-but safc is his team and its his dream job.
sd wants sustainable..why would that be a problem for the commercial director.
its certain among the fans who dont like the word sustainable..they just want someone to come and "spend some f***ing money", which is the opposite if sustainable.
TD worked with stewart and charlie beofre..with charlie twice i think..he knew their character, weath and ability when he walked through the door.
Charlie, is that you?? 🤣

i think the more prosaic answer is-yes he knew the commute would be tough-but safc is his team and its his dream job.
sd wants sustainable..why would that be a problem for the commercial director.
its certain among the fans who dont like the word sustainable..they just want someone to come and "spend some f***ing money", which is the opposite if sustainable.
TD worked with stewart and charlie beofre..with charlie twice i think..he knew their character, weath and ability when he walked through the door.

when your at Davison’s level you have to believe in the vision and the strategy to deliver it. ... especially if your living all week away from home.
I don’t agree on your version of sustainability. Sustainability is not just about paying the bills, it’s about putting in place investment/financing , organisational structure and policy’s which which will ensure the effective operation for many years to come.
It’s only an opinion but nothing we have done as a club has more than a 18 month plan let alone strategy attached to it.
If I was Davison I would have jumped ship as well as I think his job was untenable.

I've been in that situation myself, as has my wife. You go in certain you can do it. After six months to a year, you start to feel very differently about it.

Dream job for Tony, he couldn’t turn it down. Doubt any of us could. But like you say, takes its toll. Heading back south after a game on Saturday then back to Sunderland for a Monday would do anyone in after a while. Chuck a young family into the mix and I’m surprised he lasted a year.

when your at Davison’s level you have to believe in the vision and the strategy to deliver it. ... especially if your living all week away from home.
I don’t agree on your version of sustainability. Sustainability is not just about paying the bills, it’s about putting in place investment/financing , organisational structure and policy’s which which will ensure the effective operation for many years to come.
It’s only an opinion but nothing we have done as a club has more than a 18 month plan let alone strategy attached to it.
If I was Davison I would have jumped ship as well as I think his job was untenable.
a lot of the criticisms of how the vlub is run that you mention here are absolutely valid.
i think there was a sound commercial strategy but not much else.
TD will know exactly what SD and CM are like though, what commitment they have, he worked with them both for a while.
Where’s he living?
I knew him when he lived in cooper street but apart from a couple of mins chat on the concourse at Wembley I’ve not spoken to him for over 30yrs
he lives in oxford or thereabouts i think.
I'd trust Tony any day over Donald.....A real sound lad.
and tony mus trust SD and Cm he worked for them for years.
This thread sums up why folk either dislike or distrust kildare. Bit of both for me.

Just stated hes never actually been to sunderland yet claims to know every intricate fecking detail and preaches to us all.
Tell you what why dont you meet the london lot for a game and come from behind this weird disguise if youre just the general fan you claim to be (whos never been to the city nor has any family links whatsoever).
realkly big football clubs have thousands of fans that have never been to the area..if safc achieves is potential it will have thousands more. people support clubs for all sorts of reaspns.

went to a few london events down the years..the first one was in the sports bar in old street for the man utd league cup semi-final.

there were a couple i did at the famous 3 kings in kensington,

and the old red lion for the 3-0 versus everton that we won and which relegated the mags.
any thread that starts now about the london events never seems to have anything like a consensus about where the game will be on, or where a huge group of people will be to watch it. thouhh i will be at such events in future.

Last edited:
im not in a minority of one on thos thread. i just presented faxs...the other guy preseneted a smear that harms safc.

now as one of the major big time safc fans..im sure you woud rather thexmears didnt happen-as they damage the club for years to come?
There’s two ways of stopping smears .
1 Tackle myths. 2 Run the club well and make sure communications are consistent, not spin and based on half truths and not hiding information and running the club well. Conspiracy theories quite often come from hidden information or inconsistent information and people reading for answers to ‘bad luck’ which is normally down to mistakes. You saying ‘I’m only trying to stop the smears to help real fans like you’ is manipulative. Either state clearly where you get your facts from if you state they are facts not opinions or people will develop conspiracy theories about you because you are hiding information. If you only have different opinions based on your own perspective stop pretending you are better then anyone else.

There’s two ways of stopping smears .
1 Tackle myths. 2 Run the club well and make sure communications are consistent, not spin and based on half truths and not hiding information and running the club well. Conspiracy theories quite often come from hidden information or inconsistent information and people reading for answers to ‘bad luck’ which is normally down to mistakes. You saying ‘I’m only trying to stop the smears to help real fans like you’ is manipulative. Either state clearly where you get your facts from if you state they are facts not opinions or people will develop conspiracy theories about you because you are hiding information. If you only have different opinions based on your own perspective stop pretending you are better then anyone else.
those things need to happen, and would stop a lot of problems, it would essentially stop the bvery well meaning and genuine fans hsaving the scepticism they naturally do.

but it wont stop the smear merchants..because they dont care about the club..they are willing to tell any lie..to make a few quid..

Back