Tom Beadling

When Beadling first returned to the u23 side after his serious injury a couple of years ago, I watched them play away at Norwich and the two best players were Beadling and Mavrias. Read into that what you will.

When Beadling first returned to the u23 side after his serious injury a couple of years ago, I watched them play away at Norwich and the two best players were Beadling and Mavrias. Read into that what you will.

That whole team that Beadling was a part of were good enough to at least play the level we're at now imo. We will hopefully see a few of them prove it next year

He plays as a holding midfielder for them.

Still irritates me that we loaned Browning and Clarke-salter rather than playing him tbh

Why?

You've just said yourself he now plays as a midfielder. You then named 2 centre backs?

That whole team that Beadling was a part of were good enough to at least play the level we're at now imo. We will hopefully see a few of them prove it next year
If I recall correctly that team on the day included James Talbot, Josh Robson, Tommy Robson, Gooch, Nelson, Beadling, Mavrias, Dan Wright, Rees Greenwood and I think Ethan Robson and maybe even Honeyman. I can't remember seeing Asoro or Maja but I may be wrong.

If I recall correctly that team on the day included James Talbot, Josh Robson, Tommy Robson, Gooch, Nelson, Beadling, Mavrias, Dan Wright, Rees Greenwood and I think Ethan Robson and maybe even Honeyman. I can't remember seeing Asoro or Maja but I may be wrong.
I was bored so i googled it, Sunderland: Talbot, Josh Robson, T Robson, Beadling, Ledger, Agnew, E Robson (Lawson (Wright)), Gooch, Greenwood, Mavrias (McEvoy), Nelson. Subs (not used): Purvis, Brady.

Last edited:

I was bored so i googled it, Sunderland: Talbot, Josh Robson, T Robson, Beadling, Ledger, Agnew, E Robson (Lawson (Wright)), Gooch, Greenwood, Mavrias (McEvoy), Nelson. Subs (not used): Purvis, Brady.

Honestly you're right but I meant the team that got to the European final rather than specifically that night. Was totally unclear

He plays as a holding midfielder for them.

Still irritates me that we loaned Browning and Clarke-salter rather than playing him tbh

have to admit to not seeing a great deal of the lad but when he got his chance in those pre-season games he looked very comfortable (at the very least)...honestly thought he was going to be our 'left back' for a while.

He was released by Sunderland at the age of 22, having not played a single minute of football for the first team, not even in the Championship season - where we tried everything with a pulse at CB, and a few things without pulses. He's now playing in a different position, and played 17 games in the Scottish 2nd tier last season. It's not like we've released Maldini in error, is it...

Dylan McGeouch was a stand out player at that level, and he was probably 4th choice for us in League 1 for most of last season, and he's only a couple of years older than Beadling.

Hopefully he'll get some football under his belt, and have a good career. But lets not get into the silly Egan and Hourihane post-hoc reasoning again. Although I'm sure if Beadling ends up playing regularly in the Championship in the distant future, somebody will chirp up and point out we made a grave mistake in letting him go, because he finally got back to the level we released him from after about 7 years and 3 transfers.

Last edited:
He was released by Sunderland at the age of 22, having not played a single minute of football for the first team, not even in the Championship season - where we tried everything with a pulse at CB, and a few things without pulses. He's now playing in a different position, and played 17 games in the Scottish 2nd tier last season. It's not like we've released Maldini in error, is it...

Dylan McGeouch was a stand out player at that level, and he was probably 4th choice for us in League 1 for most of last season, and he's only a couple of years older than Beadling.

Hopefully he'll get some football under his belt, and have a good career. But lets not get into the silly Egan and Hourihane post-hoc reasoning again. Although I'm sure if Beadling ends up playing regularly in the Championship in the distant future, somebody will chirp up and point out we made a grave mistake in letting him go, because he finally got back to the level we released him from after about 7 years and 3 transfers.

I don't think he's a star we let go. I do think he should have been given a chance ahead of Browning or Clarke Salter

I read into it that the two best players were Beadling and Mavrais

Back