Tokyo

Tokyo, is on my "to do" list, along with Hong Kong, and Mexico city.
I hope to get to all three, some day.

It was just too good an opportunity to not take since the missus is there for a conference. Discounted flights on ANA and free accommodation for 4 days of it.

Did have to pay a companion delegate fee but that gets me good meals and events for 3-4 days in 5* hotels
Night out in Roppongi, Shibuya (worlds busiest intersection)

Go to Hakone national park, views onto Fuji.

Depending on how willing you are, Kyoto or Yokohama are doable on a day trip

Ninja resteraunt

Lived in Japan for a year. Loved it

That's looks mental .

Only really have the Friday night and Sunday free as Saturday take up with beverages and rugby. I have free time mon, tue ,wed in the day and then it's just Thursday as a totally free day before flying back on the Friday. Actually cos we get the hours back we might fly sat morning..

Last edited:

It was just too good an opportunity to not take since the missus is there for a conference. Discounted flights on ANA and free accommodation for 4 days of it.

Did have to pay a companion delegate fee but that gets me good meals and events for 3-4 days in 5* hotels

That's looks mental .

Only really have the Friday night and Sunday free as Saturday take up with beverages and rugby. I have free time mon, tue ,wed in the day and then it's just Thursday as a totally free day before flying back on the Friday. Actually cos we get the hours back we might fly sat morning..
It sounds amazing, and I'm sure you'll love being there.
Enjoy the experience Epps.

Yep getting up for it now. Not booked any accommodation either side of the conference yet but seems plenty available and not mentally priced
I've been to Singapore and really enjoyed the different food and cultures there, but would definitely swap it all for a trip to Tokyo, and all that it has to offer.

Was underwhelmed by Singapore.. it's was lovely and enjoyed street food etc. But all seemed a little bland
I didn't enjoy the humidity, but loved the food in the hawker centre we went to.
Had a Singapore sling at Raffles Long bar.
There wasn't an awful lot to see and do, in comparison to say, Hong Kong, or Tokyo.

I didn't enjoy the humidity, but loved the food in the hawker centre we went to.
Had a Singapore sling at Raffles Long bar.
There wasn't an awful lot to see and do, in comparison to say, Hong Kong, or Tokyo.
I really didn't like HK. Every big city like that gets compared to Tokyo as I used to live there. That's unfortunate, as it sets the bar really high. Only Bangkok gives it a run for me.
Yep getting up for it now. Not booked any accommodation either side of the conference yet but seems plenty available and not mentally priced
Check airbnb if it's still available over there. Much better value than hotels I found and often for a full apartment.

Last edited by a moderator:

If you decide on a side trip then check out the flights from a Tokyo to Osaka or Kyoto. It cost about forty pounds each way which is cheaper than the train if you are only doing one trip. Jet star is the equivalent to EasyJet or Ryanair and the best source for low fares is their website.

Bit then I'd have bugger all time in Tokyo.

I hate rushing places too much just to tick box
Focus on Tokyo. You could spend a year there and not scratch the surface. Don't rush to other places just because. Osaka is Tokyo-lite, and while Kyoto is lovely, it's not worth the effort when you have so little time. Loads of history and sights in Tokyo that are equally impressive.
Tokyo is very busy, full of tall buildings so you only see patches of the sky. Sometimes it’s nice to move away from that into a calmer place for a day or two.
There are hundreds of quiet, relaxed, and natural spots in and around Tokyo that negate a trip to the other end of the country. Mount Takao or Mount Mitake are breathtaking and far more accessible on such a short time frame, for example, despite being much lesser known. Nikko if you want to go ever so slightly farther afield.

Focus on Tokyo. You could spend a year there and not scratch the surface. Don't rush to other places just because. Osaka is Tokyo-lite, and while Kyoto is lovely, it's not worth the effort when you have so little time. Loads of history and sights in Tokyo that are equally impressive.

There are hundreds of quiet, relaxed, and natural spots in and around Tokyo that negate a trip to the other end of the country. Mount Takao or Mount Mitake are breathtaking and far more accessible on such a short time frame, for example, despite being much lesser known. Nikko if you want to go ever so slightly farther afield.

It’s hardly the other end of the country! It’s like flying from Newcastle to London for the day, similar distance too.

It’s hardly the other end of the country! It’s like flying from Newcastle to London for the day, similar distance too.
Newcastle to London and Tokyo to Osaka are pretty much close enough to opposite ends of the country, like. They're both classed as north/south in their respective countries. However, discounting distances, there are still a plethora of different activities to undertake in the Tokyo/Kanto region to negate a trip by plane to Japan's lower districts.

Tokyo, is on my "to do" list, along with Hong Kong, and Mexico city.
I hope to get to all three, some day.
I am doing my ‘once in a lifetime, probably’ trip next year. We are visiting the wife’s relations in Canada.

There are a few places that I would like to visit but I wouldn’t deem them as totally necessary. India, Japan, Arctic, Scandinavia.

I will deffo see more of Belgium, Netherlands, Germany hopefully.

Back