Tokyo

Off there in October . I'm accompanying the wife to a conference.

Have a couple days either side which I need to get accommodation for

What are must haves to see and any areas I should be looking at staying in?

Also hoping to take in England v Argentina for Rugby world cup on the staurday 5th
Ta

Also hoping to take in England v Argentina for Rugby world cup on the staurday 5th
Ta
Few years since I was there but it's relatively easy to get to Mount Fuji. I'd also recommend getting a daily ticket for the underground. It's on a circular route so you can hop on and off all day.
Within the city itself, try and immerse yourself in the contrasts. You can be in someone chaotic like Shibuya (the one with the big crossing) and a few minutes later be sat in a beautifully peaceful park.
I stayed in Shinagawa which was pretty handy for getting around but others might have better suggestions.
The hotel was mental in scale with bowling alley, aqua park, cinema etc.

Ta

You can get to Mount Fuji by train in just a few hours.

Sky tree. Don't bother with Tokyo tower or Yokohama Landmark tower (theyre still great btw) but Sky tree is amazing.
Kamakura. Great but lots of walking.
Buy a guide book, loads to see

Odaiba is brilliant with shops and museums and even a small traditional onset. Here’s a guide to the place.

Don’t try to walk over the Rainbow Bridge as the fumes from the cars makes it unpleasant.

Disneysea is a unique Disney park with a Japanese slant on things and is well worth visiting.

Ta

Golden Gai, 200 bars in a few streets all holding just a couple of people each

Some of the best night outs of my life in there.
Regularly circa £400 return flights through Jacks Flight club.

Been thinking of doing 3-4 days there on my own sometime soon

Whats the crack with Jacks Flight club like mate?

Ta

I'm going to the Argentina game, tickets are on general sale on the RWC website. I'm based in Philippines so Japan is essily doable in a weekend.

Tokyo is ok but nothing special imo, personally I preferred Mt Fuji, Nagoya and Hiroshima.

Golden Gai, 200 bars in a few streets all holding just a couple of people each

Some of the best night outs of my life in there.

Whats the crack with Jacks Flight club like mate?
I'm not sure if this is the area I went to but I'd definitely recommend going into little bars and having a beer and having some miso soup, noodles etc. Was a lot cheaper than I expected and it was a great experience.

Went a few months ago, it's a fantastic city. If you are going to be there for a week a JR pass could be a good idea, you can get on any JR train lines, any bullet train (bar the really fast one) etc. Only really worth it if you are looking to go to other places, we took a day trip to osaka.

I went to Hong Kong after Tokyo and a trip to Sydney. Don't think I fully appreciated it as I was knackered and it was too much to squeeze into three weeks.
It is worth going for the Star Ferry alone.
I've been to Sydney and around Australia, but it was part of a much longer trip, with between 3 and 7 days stay in other cities, LA, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Singapore.
We hoped to do Hong Kong after Perth, but it worked out a lot cheaper to fly everywhere with Qantas, who at that time (1992) didn't fly from Perth to Hong Kong, so we opted for Singapore instead.

I love cities that are busy all day and night, that's why I want to do HK, Tokyo, and Mexico city.

Back