~~Tokyo Olympics 2020/21~~

I think as a country we need to be investing in Olympic sports like athletics, swimming and cycling because they're accessible to most people.

We're only investing in sports like rowing because we win loads of medals but one of the reasons we win loads of medals is that not many countries actually compete in those events.
It may sound awful but winning a medal in the dressage meant nothing to me. I couldn’t care less. It’s totally inaccessible for 99.9% of people in this country. It’s literally a sport for royalty.

I agree with what you say. Anyone can go cycling or take part in athletics no matter how rich or poor they are.

I think as a country we need to be investing in Olympic sports like athletics, swimming and cycling because they're accessible to most people.

We're only investing in sports like rowing because we win loads of medals but one of the reasons we win loads of medals is that not many countries actually compete in those events.

I suspect that sports like equestrianism and sailing will sort themselves out but rowing is only really a minority sport because of the size you need to be (the odd lightweight race excepted). You've only got to look at how Helen Glover's story to realise that. I'm not sure rowing is necessarily something that's available to kids, whereas swimming, athletics and cycling are.

As far as the number of countries competing, are there significantly less than there are when it comes to elite cycling or swimming? Track cycling, in particular, mostly has entries from the same few countries (mostly those involved in rowing) again and again.
It may sound awful but winning a medal in the dressage meant nothing to me. I couldn’t care less. It’s totally inaccessible for 99.9% of people in this country. It’s literally a sport for royalty.

I agree with what you say. Anyone can go cycling or take part in athletics no matter how rich or poor they are.

Dressage is available to very few people (I've no idea how you get into it in the first place as it doesn't have the more obvious appeal that, say, show jumping or three day eventing would have anyway) but, horse riding is reasonably affordable (until you want/need to own a horse).

Last edited:
They were saying its GB's first ever medal in the quad skulls rowing. I always thought Redgrave and Pincent were part of the 4's, and Peter Reid (OK Reed 👌) too lol. Anyone privately education SMBers know the difference?

Goggled it: quad has 2 oars each, the fours just one.

Last edited:
I suspect that sports like equestrianism and sailing will sort themselves out but rowing is only really a minority sport because of the size you need to be (the odd lightweight race excepted). You've only got to look at how Helen Glover's story to realise that. I'm not sure rowing is necessarily something that's available to kids, whereas swimming, athletics and cycling are.

As far as the number of countries competing, are there significantly less than there are when it comes to elite cycling or swimming? Track cycling, in particular, mostly has entries from the same few countries (mostly those involved in rowing) again and again.

Dressage is available to very few people (I've no idea how you get into it in the first place as it doesn't have the more obvious appeal that, say, show jumping or three day eventing would have anyway) but, horse riding is reasonably affordable (until you want/need to own a horse).
I know loads of lasses who do dressage and none of them I'd call posh or have loads of money.. it takes loads and loads of skill to get a horse to do anything other than walk and run... Most people involved because it's an absolute passion .. they will be found in all weatbers in a stable yard shovelling shit at 6 in the morning..

Obviously to get the best horses and to be good at it takes money as it's yojr full time job but there are hundreds of dressage shows up and down the country every weekend

They were saying its GB's first ever medal in the quad skulls rowing. I always thought Redgrave and Pincent were part of the 4's, and Peter Reid (OK Reed 👌) too lol. Anyone privately education SMBers know the difference?

Goggled it: quad has 2 oars each, the fours just one.
Aye you got it. Redgrave was in a normal 4 where you have 2 rowers on bow side and 2 on stroke side with 1 oar each. Skulls each rower has 2 oars, typically smaller and lighter than normal oars.

I went to a state comp but we had a teacher who was passionate about rowing and took loads of kids out on the river rowing then we raced all round the country and after I left some even internationally.

My claim to fame is our crew beat a crew Redgrave was in (he was at Marlow School) in the National Championships at Holme Pierrepoint. :cool:

while I don't mind the fact that the IOC have banned gestures like taking the knee, because they dedicated their opening ceremony to outlining and underlining how the Olympics inherently stands against inequality and oppression and even made the huge point of changing the Olympic motto, I do love that this young woman managed to find a loophole in the most amazing way

The GB men’s rugby 7s team took the knee before each game.

The GB men’s rugby 7s team took the knee before each game.
shit, did they?

I looked it up and other teams are also doing it and stated their intention so IOC amended Rule 50 to say they can crack on on the field of play. I think they didn't want anthems bothered or the medal ceremonies and that.

shit, did they?

I looked it up and other teams are also doing it and stated their intention so IOC amended Rule 50 to say they can crack on on the field of play. I think they didn't want anthems bothered or the medal ceremonies and that.

shit, did they?

So did multiple woman’s footy teams

Disappointing breaststroke there mind the commentary here I thought they were saying ' Here comes stubbly cock' as the Aussie came through 🤣

Back