~~Tokyo Olympics 2020/21~~

Personally I love the Olympics, London 2012 and the Paralympics was part of the best sporting summer in my lifetime.

This time round it feels a bit subdued, understandably so. I'm not even fully aware of how most of our athletes are expected to do this time out. I get the feeling we're expected to do worse than Rio?
I was in the stadium on Super Saturday at London 2012, in a crowd of 80,000, for the morning athletics session.

Saw Usain Bolt in the 100m heats, Jessica Ennis in the long jump and javelin Heptathlon events and Oscar Pistorius, the first Para athlete to compete in the Olympics.

It would be difficult to do better than Rio though this time around given that we finished second to the USA!

typical from the likes of Sky News to report it in this way... 'sensationalist news above actual news or facts' seem to be the Sky News template on reporting :rolleyes:
Thankfully nobody outside the UK even knows who Sky News are!

On saying that, those 6 Polish Swimmers who were told on arrival they hadn't qualified will get a second chance if the Games get rescheduled...

"... They put in years of training. They sacrificed their social lives and their families. They flew around the world during a pandemic to compete in the Tokyo Olympics. Only to be told once they got there that they didn’t qualify..." :eek:

from Washington Post but can't seem to attach link

Last edited:
typical from the likes of Sky News to report it in this way... 'sensationalist news above actual news or facts' seem to be the Sky News template on reporting :rolleyes:
Thankfully nobody outside the UK even knows who Sky News are!

On saying that, those 6 Polish Swimmers who were told on arrival they hadn't qualified will get a second chance if the Games get rescheduled...

"... They put in years of training. They sacrificed their social lives and their families. They flew around the world during a pandemic to compete in the Tokyo Olympics. Only to be told once they got there that they didn’t qualify..." :eek:

from Washington Post but can't seem to attach link
poor bastards.... Poland pick too many swimmers by mistake

actually that reads worse for those 6 swimmers involved! ...I had initially read it as a blunder by Polish Swimming Federation that they had forgotten to officially submit their swimmers and that they as a group would not compete but at least they (the swimmers) were all in it together, but this now reads like upon arrival the Polish team then had to apply some kind of lottery to decide who could stay and who would have to fly back home! :eek:

actually that reads worse for those 6 swimmers involved! ...I had initially read it as a blunder by Polish Swimming Federation that they had forgotten to officially submit their swimmers and that they as a group would not compete but at least they (the swimmers) were all in it together, but this now reads like upon arrival the Polish team then had to apply some kind of lottery to decide who could stay and who would have to fly back home! :eek:
nah, they hadn't made the qualifying standard by the sound of it, someone dropped a bloody big bollock

What are you looking forward to seeing?
Mainly athletics, track cycling and swimming.

Also the opening ceremony which is bound to be completely bonkers if it's any way reflective of Japanese culture.

It'll have to go some to beat 'Pandemonium' in 2012 though with the Underworld soundtrack.

Back