To boost Wyke n Griggs confidence.

The feeling is mutual. At least with wyke you can see what he can brings when he is fit. Never gunna be prolific but can be a handful. Grigg is utter shit and uninterested. Would rather have will young up front.

Dont get me wrong i hope someone bookmarks this post and quotes it back to me, showing what little i know when he is the leagues top scorer.

I just cant see it

Should we not play a couple of shite teams ie local non league or a portugese sides second string?
The worrying thing is these 2 are our worst players even when their confidence is high yet we are relying on them to score the goals for promotion.

The feeling is mutual. At least with wyke you can see what he can brings when he is fit. Never gunna be prolific but can be a handful. Grigg is utter shit and uninterested. Would rather have will young up front.
I'd be more relaxed with Will Young up front ,rather than playing at the back.

His body language will no doubt reflect his mood. The truth is we’re just not creating many chances for him and it’s very rare that strikers score from every opportunity.

We were lucky early on last season that Maja had an incredible goal to chance ratio but Grigg didn’t get off to a great start. That affects confidence and he’ll start snatching at half chances realising that we aren’t creating many and the pressure is on him to score.

We’ve seen it time and again at Sunderland in recent years with only genuine quality like Defoe for example having the self confidence to back himself.

Maybe Grigg isn’t such a guarantee of goals as we expected- if you look at his record in L1 he seems to have had as many poor seasons as good ones:

2010/11 L1 Walsall P28 League Aps 4 goals

2011/12 L1 Walsall P29 League Apa 4 goals

2012/13 L Walsall P41 League Aps 19 goals

2013/14 L1 Brentford P34 goals 4

2014/15?L1 MK Dons P44 goals 20

2015/16 L1 MK Dons P 40 goals 25

2017/18 L1 Wigan P43 goals 19

2018/19 L1 SAFC P18 goals 4

So maybe if he’s playing in a side which creates lots of chances he’ll score a decent amount but in a side that creates very little- and that’s us sadly ......

Just get rid of the 2 useless feckers.
They cudnt score in a brothel with 50 pund notes wrapped round their dicks.
Absolute shite.

Why is this though? They did well at this level with Bradford and Wigan, so we should be looking at what's wrong with our setup as much as we should be looking at the players.
We will not address the issue of set up as that means a complete shake up of midfield which won't happen and as has also been shown Gooch and Watmore fail to be the answer. At least with Maja we had a forward who could create goals on his own. Flogging a dead horse with both of them and he haven't got the recourses to change it ! Best we can hope for is that we scrape more wins this time when we had draws last time so down to the newer defense to improve us

We will not address the issue of set up as that means a complete shake up of midfield which won't happen and as has also been shown Gooch and Watmore fail to be the answer. At least with Maja we had a forward who could create goals on his own. Flogging a dead horse with both of them and he haven't got the recourses to change it ! Best we can hope for is that we scrape more wins this time when we had draws last time so down to the newer defense to improve us

Think Maja was handed a cross/ball once a game n managed to snapshot 90% in. That couldnt continue imo.
These 2 are getting similar and failing, some far easier actually such as a couple of open goals.
Ie grigg clean through n wyke a header with keeper laid down.

Think Maja was handed a cross/ball once a game n managed to snapshot 90% in. That couldnt continue imo.
These 2 are getting similar and failing, some far easier actually such as a couple of open goals.
Ie grigg clean through n wyke a header with keeper laid down.
some scandalous misses and yet people still think they'll come good

Questions need to be asked why 2 proven league 1 strikers don't look like they know where the net is as soon as they don a Sunderland shirt yet score freely elsewhere.

Why is this though? They did well at this level with Bradford and Wigan, so we should be looking at what's wrong with our setup as much as we should be looking at the players.

They get no service.
How long have we been saying our strikers feed on scraps??
Get back to the Reid days ffs.
2 wide lads who can cross a ball, a creative mobile midfielder and a ball winner.
Feck me it's not rocket science.

Questions need to be asked why 2 proven league 1 strikers don't look like they know where the net is as soon as they don a Sunderland shirt yet score freely elsewhere.

Because they don't get much of a chance to score and when a chance comes along it's a case of "fk me, we've created something". The surprise of getting a chance must be overwhelming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did he ever want to be here ? Looks like someone dragged him against his will !

No. He pretty much said so I’m an interview where he said he’d gone to bed on deadline day

some scandalous misses and yet people still think they'll come good

I wouldn’t go so far as to say “come good” but I do hope we’ve seen their lowest level and we start getting some return from their efforts.

Last edited:

Back