TLOU 2 *Spoilers Galore* Only read if completed!

just finished it. took me just over 36 hrs :eek:

great game and shit myself numerous times. didn't want to control abby again but as mentioned, i started to like her and was thinking we can't kill her in the final fight. before the fight i thought that they both might die. only missed a few collectables so will be going back to pick them up and then will probably do the new game+ with a more gung ho approach

Let’s hope my title keeps away the hovering mouses!

Good post @payne - I agree with the most part for sure.

The more I played as Abby, the more I realised she was a actually a good person. She was just simply surviving in any way she could. I was rooting for her in every respect. I was genuinely uncomfortable playing as Ellie in the end and having to fight Abby to the death. I never ever thought I’d not want to be Ellie. But they did an amazing job of making your feelings switch. That is quite f***ing something considering the loyalty to Ellie from fans in the first game - myself included.

I enjoyed the descent. That was fun! And I enjoyed the flashback with Joel when we went in the rocket - but that’s because I’m a soft shite and I love Joel.
But that f***ing thing at the bottom of the hospital was indeed a massive pain in the arse! I was running round like a headless chicken for most part!!

Loved the increased amount of stealth too. That’s my playing style anyway so it’s always a winner for me.

I still haven’t read any of the bad reviews and I can’t even think what people are complaining about. It was simply outstanding.

But this is my game of the decade. There...I’ve said it. Don’t even try and change my mind!!!
I would echo your sentiments there Lady Muck.

I can't add anything more to the points you touched on regarding the bad reviews etc. Spot on also about the mixed emotions while swapping characters. Proper rollercoaster.
The critical slating reminds me of Days Gone - which was absolutely caned in the first week of release but most people who slated it have actually gone back and played it through and reversed their original opinion. Canny game by the way if you've not already played...

I was just saying to my brother (who's still on with the final act) that TLOU II is probably the pinnacle in video games story telling. I finished about a week ago. Since the credits rolled its been like a void.... I have nothing I want to play in my huge backlog of games...I've put a couple of games on and..well they all seem weak and a bit rubbish in comparison. This is going to be a very hard act to follow.

Simply outstanding.

I can't add anything more to the points you touched on regarding the bad reviews etc. Spot on also about the mixed emotions while swapping characters. Proper rollercoaster.
The critical slating reminds me of Days Gone - which was absolutely caned in the first week of release but most people who slated it have actually gone back and played it through and reversed their original opinion. Canny game by the way if you've not already played...

I was just saying to my brother (who's still on with the final act) that TLOU II is probably the pinnacle in video games story telling. I finished about a week ago. Since the credits rolled its been like a void.... I have nothing I want to play in my huge backlog of games...I've put a couple of games on and..well they all seem weak and a bit rubbish in comparison. This is going to be a very hard act to follow.

Simply outstanding.

I've been fighting this problem as well. Got loads of games I could be going through but everything seems clunky in comparison.

Simply outstanding.

Completely agree. I finished it 2 and a half weeks ago and have been thinking about it ever since, don’t really fancy playing any other games at the moment and just want to do it all again.

Okay...we need to talk...

Sorry, I felt a thread which can be openly discussed was needed.

Clocking in at 28 hours, I am done. And I am emotional!!

When I watched Abby kill Joel, I couldn’t wait to avenge his death. But then the more I played as Abby, the more I really grew to love her. So I really didn’t want Ellie to kill her at the end, and thankfully I got the best ending I could have hoped for. I was even teary!

What an amazing journey that was!

What’s other people’s thoughts on the ending? And the game itself? Any best bits? Any worst bits? Any gripes? Any other cryers at the end?

There were parts when I had to stop because the tension was incredible, that hasn’t happened to me before. It was also making me jump and scream to the point Mrs C thought I was playing FIFA.

I agree with a lot of your review, I was furious they killed Joel early doors but it was brilliant to fuel the narrative of the game and Abby was a canny heel.

The haters, from what I’ve seen, are mainly pissed of with female leads who are lesbians and they chucked a trans character in.

There were parts when I had to stop because the tension was incredible, that hasn’t happened to me before. It was also making me jump and scream to the point Mrs C thought I was playing FIFA.

I agree with a lot of your review, I was furious they killed Joel early doors but it was brilliant to fuel the narrative of the game and Abby was a canny heel.

The haters, from what I’ve seen, are mainly pissed of with female leads who are lesbians and they chucked a trans character in.

Yea it was incredibly tense, shat myself a few times :lol: Stalkers are a nightmare on this one.

I wasn’t angry with Joel’s killing, just shocked. I think maybe some people got carried away with the fact that he was a bit of a badass/terminator style figure in the first game and forgot that actually he was actually quite morally flawed - e.g. he admitted to being a hunter, has murdered countless innocent people. Despite all that you feel for him and it’s nice to see his growing bond with Ellie throughout that first game.

Yea it was incredibly tense, shat myself a few times :lol: Stalkers are a nightmare on this one.

I wasn’t angry with Joel’s killing, just shocked. I think maybe some people got carried away with the fact that he was a bit of a badass/terminator style figure in the first game and forgot that actually he was actually quite morally flawed - e.g. he admitted to being a hunter, has murdered countless innocent people. Despite all that you feel for him and it’s nice to see his growing bond with Ellie throughout that first game.

It happens a lot in tv/film I guess, the first example that springs to mind is Tony Soprano, but there’s countless other bad guys you root for because they are a key part of what you’re going through, so you detach yourself.

As much as Abby is the bad guy, Joel killed her Dad amongst other things so it’s not too hard to sympathise with her either.

It really does put you through it though!

It happens a lot in tv/film I guess, the first example that springs to mind is Tony Soprano, but there’s countless other bad guys you root for because they are a key part of what you’re going through, so you detach yourself.

As much as Abby is the bad guy, Joel killed her Dad amongst other things so it’s not too hard to sympathise with her either.

Good comparison - I rewatched The Sopranos recently and you’re torn between being charmed and disgusted by Tony :lol:

Yea exactly, I think in both games Abby goes through worse than Ellie too - it’s shite enough losing her dad, but those few days in Seattle seeing all her friends killed completely breaks her.

Just goes to show that it’s all about perspective when it comes to who the bad guy is in that.

Clocked it the neet. Quality, hoped Abby and Ellie might have lesbian sex at the end in the boat.

Might go for an instant 2nd play through or play 1 again and then go back.

Got up early this morning as I felt I was close to the end and just completed it now before work. Clocked in at 24 hours.

As I posted in the other thread, I only started part one a couple of weeks ago and ordered 2 as soon as I was hooked on that.

Like after part one I feel completely emotionally drained. An incredibly tough act to follow but they managed it perfectly. Absolutely no doubt in my mind that this game is a 10/10 and one of the best I've ever played (same for part one).

Starting with the gameplay I'm glad they kept it fairly similar. Adding the prone stealth movement and dodge mechanic were great additions which made combat better and more realistic without making it feel like a different game.

Graphics. Stunning. Both in gameplay and in cutscenes.

The story is obviously what makes these games and, as someone who isn't in to horror games, is the reason I push through them. As what others have said the emotional connection to Ellie and Joel from part one made the hatred towards Abby so strong that playing with her after the initial confrontation was sickening. By the end of day 3 with Abby I had more sympathy towards her than Ellie.

The ending wasn't how I thought it was going to be. I thought one would definitely die. I'm glad she didn't kill her though and I was relieved that Ellie and Joel made up (sort of) in the epilogue.

As much as I hated it I thought ground zero was such a good level design. I've never felt that much tension in a game. Dark, quiet and very few enemies. I stupidly thought because the descent leading up to it was so intense that once I'd reached the ambulance that would be that :lol:

Might need a break from gaming for a couple of weeks now. Think anything I start now will feel underwhelming in comparison. Platinum seems easy enough so might go back for that at some point

Quite gutted it's over but so glad the thread on here convinced me to stick with part one

Really enjoyed this, but made the mistake of doing the final bit when we came in from the pub on Sunday neet so cannit really remember the ending properly
might have to do the last chapter again
overall though fantastic game, difficulty was definitely easier than the first one. Was on the edge of my seat for the whole of the playthrough

Just finished it there, I think it took around 35 hours. I enjoyed it, but I think it was maybes a bit too long. Overall I think I preferred the first one
Never get the complaints about a game being too long, like. Never hear folk say that about open world games which seem to be de rigeur these days.

Back