Titanic

A bit of trivia about the Titanic. Its captain formerly skippered its sister ship the Olympic and crashed it into a tug on its maiden voyage and into a warship off Southampton. After the inquiry it was decided to give him one last journey as captain before he retired. How right they were :eek:.

A bit of trivia about the Titanic. Its captain formerly skippered its sister ship the Olympic and crashed it into a tug on its maiden voyage and into a warship off Southampton. After the inquiry it was decided to give him one last journey as captain before he retired. How right they were :eek:.
Don’t the conspiracy theorists reckon he actually wrote off the Olympic that day, and in fact to get the insurance money the owners swapped it with the Titanic and deliberately sank it?

Don’t the conspiracy theorists reckon he actually wrote off the Olympic that day, and in fact to get the insurance money the owners swapped it with the Titanic and deliberately sank it?
I've never heard that one. My great grandfather worked on the Olympic and my 7 year old is obsessed with watching things about the 3 sister ships. Not much luck between the 3 ships.:lol:

I've never heard that one. My great grandfather worked on the Olympic and my 7 year old is obsessed with watching things about the 3 sister ships. Not much luck between the 3 ships.:lol:

Titanic exhibition is on here at the min with the whole story and a load of recovered artifacts - my 4 year old is obsessed we've been 4 times :lol:

Recently seen a video on YouTube of the transcript of the distress call sent out by Titanic when it hit the iceberg. A ship named ‘Frankfurt’ asks what is wrong about 10 times. :lol:

“Struck an iceberg.”
“What’s wrong?”
“We are sinking.”
“Okay. What’s wrong?”

Ends with Titanic operator saying “Fool. You fool.” which is quite harrowing considering what happened.
Bill Paxton man, still cannot believe he is dead. Hero of mine growing up.
Was class in Twister

Brno - bit of a hike for you. I love the Titanic story so have no probs taking him :lol:

https://www.titanicvystava.cz
In a landlocked country as well :lol:.

I had the kids over that way a couple of years ago for a Christmas break by Interrail. I did France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Czech republic and Slovakia but all close to each other. Was a great trip and a proper adventure for them on sleeper trains etc.

Watched a documentary on the Titanic and a new line of thought is that one of the massive coal bunkers was on fire (spontaneously) when it left Ireland. The heat weakened the bulkheads, so when it struck the iceberg the damage was inevitably catastrophic. The thinking is also that the ship was going so fast through potentially dangerous waters because they thought they would run out of coal (due to the fire) before reaching America.

Another reported disgusting fact: The white Star Line docked the drowned crews pay for the cost of their lost uniforms.

Watched a documentary on the Titanic and a new line of thought is that one of the massive coal bunkers was on fire (spontaneously) when it left Ireland. The heat weakened the bulkheads, so when it struck the iceberg the damage was inevitably catastrophic. The thinking is also that the ship was going so fast through potentially dangerous waters because they thought they would run out of coal (due to the fire) before reaching America.

Another reported disgusting fact: The white Star Line docked the drowned crews pay for the cost of their lost uniforms.
Watched that documentary too - well worth a watch.

There are conspiracy theories the ships identities were swapped after said accident for insurance claims and it was the Olympic that sank but with the titanic name

Couple good documentaries on the tube of youness

There are conspiracy theories the ships identities were swapped after said accident for insurance claims and it was the Olympic that sank but with the titanic name

Couple good documentaries on the tube of youness
There were bits of the original Titanic on the Olympic because they used them to repair it in Belfast for a quick turn around after it collided with a warship. The two ships were different in size and the Britannic that followed them was different again.

I'm pretty sure the Olympic survived because my great grandfather worked on it and I wouldn't be here :lol:

There were bits of the original Titanic on the Olympic because they used them to repair it in Belfast for a quick turn around after it collided with a warship. The two ships were different in size and the Britannic that followed them was different again.

I'm pretty sure the Olympic survived because my great grandfather worked on it and I wouldn't be here :lol:
But the conspiracy theories state that you wouldn’t know that he’d worked on the Titanic not the Olympic because they swapped the names. He would have thought it was the Olympic as everyone would.

But the conspiracy theories state that you wouldn’t know that he’d worked on the Titanic not the Olympic because they swapped the names. He would have thought it was the Olympic as everyone would.
I'm sure they were different sized ships and Lloyds of London would have probably noticed perhaps?

Edit: it was only 3 inches longer.

Well I would notice the difference :oops::lol:

Last edited:

Back