Titanic Museum Southampton

Anyone been and what's it like for kids?

Kids are doing the Titanic at school and they are quite into it, so I thought we could pop down to Southampton in the holidays on the way to the Grandparents. I know the Belfast one is meant to be brilliant, but that one's not an option.

Did you know that by the time the Titanic was designed & built the White Star Line had been bought by JP Morgan. Their plan was to monopolise the N Atlantic shipping route and jack up prices. They tried to buy Cunard too but the UK government stepped in to block it (basically bribed Cunard) because they didn't want to lose control of the big ocean liners for use as troop carriers in wartime.

Did you know that by the time the Titanic was designed & built the White Star Line had been bought by JP Morgan. Their plan was to monopolise the N Atlantic shipping route and jack up prices. They tried to buy Cunard too but the UK government stepped in to block it (basically bribed Cunard) because they didn't want to lose control of the big ocean liners for use as troop carriers in wartime.

Cunard got the Mauretania and Lusitania out of that bribe so I'd say it paid off somewhat. The war still took out the Titanic's sister, one of her main rivals and the ship that rescued her passengers.

Back