Tips for small sided games

I play walking football now, at 56 it's still a decent standard, Steve Archibald started Wabol here in Barcelona, loads of ex pros, you realise you only need two touches if you have the skill and vision.

You lot need to get a team together to challenge us old men over here.

8/9 years ago we could’ve. The problem is these days we’re all married and/or have bairns now.

@whitey
@Venkman
@Kevsgreat

They’ll not respond, they’re too busy. Mad what time does to people….

Pass and move is everything.

Track your man. Its easily to defend in small sided games if you have a team that is willing to follow their man.
Not sure I 100% agree with this mind. There’s definitely an element of understanding each other & passing on a man. That takes a bit more knowledge of each other & understanding. & talking. But there’s no point in legging about like a dafty if you can keep a shape in tact.

Best thing you can do is run when you haven’t got the ball & open up space for someone else. Run across the pitch sideways. Pull defenders about even if you know you’ll not get the ball. Im shite, but the amount of people who seem to challenge themselves to do as little as possible baffles me.

Started playing again at 55 with lads in their 50’s.

Speeds gone on most but touch and movement is still there .
Biggest regret is packing in at 35.

Started playing again at 55 with lads in their 50’s.

Speeds gone on most but touch and movement is still there .
Biggest regret is packing in at 35.
I always used to say to lads that were chucking it that they should play as long as they can because they'd regret it when they'd chucked.

Play to your fitness level. No point running like mad if you are going to be knackered after ten minutes.

Communication is everything. Let team mates know if they have lost their man. Talk to people and decide who is marking who.

Decide as a team how far up the pitch you will be pressing and stick to it. Waste of energy if some of the team press and others do not.

Try and work on your weaker foot if you have time to practice. Being decent with both feet is a massive advantage in games on small pitches.

Last edited:
It’s all about dominating the battle sphere. Win the mental battle. Own every quadrant on the pitch, physically and mentally. And crucially own the opposition.

i got to the stage where i was doing it for fitness rather than tactics so just ran all over the place
As said good players ,follow the man,track back etc
loads dont ,usually the lads who like to score and not pass too

Didn't want an invite anyway.
Starting to get into this (7 aside), and wanted to know what tips people have.
Attack, Defence, in general?
At the age of 41..... lol
Been said loads... track your man. Everyone varies in ability absolutely no problem with that. Having to run to track a man someone else couldn't be arsed to track, used to infuriate me more than anything else.

Last edited:
Play with people who want to play for fun. My last job I joined in and some of the grief the younger lads would get for not sprinting around for the entire duration was mental.

Grown blokes getting genuinely proper angry

Back