Time wasting goalies....

Very rare for a keeper to be suspended from too many yellows too. I think it would be fair for keepers to be suspended after two yellows as it currently means very little for them to be booked.

new. I used to do it 50 years ago, when I played. It takes the heat out of the game and allows the defence to reorganise themselves.
I was at a loss thinking’s new, 30 years ago we used to do it if we were winning, just get the keeper to drop as soon as he gets the ball, refs will never say a thing

;) it could never be established if I lost my balance or had to reach out so far that I had to fall to the ground

mind a lot of keepers do go to ground without the ball as they dive out to punch the ball.

we were always coached to catch the ball that way no need to worry about a follow up

after saying that, I remember we lost a cup final as I let a ball rebound of my chest and I couldn't catch it as their centre forward scored of the rebound. last kick of the game as well.

I got to the stage last season, due to the amount of time wasting against us, that I was annoyed even when our lot did it.

Absolute blight on the game.
Use of a game clock and proper (re)enforcement of the 6 second rule. Job done.
I’m not usually in favour of Americanisation of our beloved game but despite the annoying commercial breaks, basketball and NFL football have game clocks and out-of-play restriction rules precisely to keep things moving along and enhance the viewing experience so we’re seeing more in-play action and less dithering about.

Use of a game clock and proper (re)enforcement of the 6 second rule. Job done.
I’m not usually in favour of Americanisation of our beloved game but despite the annoying commercial breaks, basketball and NFL football have game clocks and out-of-play restriction rules precisely to keep things moving along and enhance the viewing experience so we’re seeing more in-play action and less dithering about.

Would be good to see it enforced. With a 6 second rule you can sort of understand if it gets to ten seconds, but sometimes they've had it more than twice as long as they're meant to and it takes the piss. I'd also be interested to see if any keeper in England has ever been sent off for two time wasting yellows; seen plenty get booked, sometimes the ref even does it quite early, but then they go back to letting them get away with it.

Stop the clock for every second the ball isn’t in play or with the goal keeper.

Would still be there at 9pm each Saturday.

Problem is that whilst the keepers will get booked, they’d never get booked twice - don’t think I’ve ever seen this happen? The ref wouldn’t have the balls to send a goalkeeper off and ruin a game late on due to it

Why not bring back picking up from the back pass, but be more strict on the 6 second rule? I am not a big fan of the backpass rule, while the six second rule has more merit.

It's not just the keepers though, there's been loads of football to watch lately.
U20 wc
Toulon
Wwc
Nations cup or whatever its called and the players are taking the piss. They get touched and they roll about as if they've been shot then ran over.
Its terrible to watch a game now, VAR should be used for all the cheating that's going on.

Would be good to see it enforced. With a 6 second rule you can sort of understand if it gets to ten seconds, but sometimes they've had it more than twice as long as they're meant to and it takes the piss. I'd also be interested to see if any keeper in England has ever been sent off for two time wasting yellows; seen plenty get booked, sometimes the ref even does it quite early, but then they go back to letting them get away with it.
Spot on GG. What the point of making a rule (all of which in one way or another are supposed to enhance fairness and the playing / watching experience) and never enforcing it?

By the way, I said upthread I thought the six second rule had been suspended at some point and keeper timewasting left to the ref’s discretion. Whether or not that was true, I just checked the current LOAF, which states at Law 12:

“An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:
• controls the ball with the hands for more than six seconds before releasing it

So it’s definitely on the books now.”

Last edited:

Back