Time to close this now, surely.

The hysteria and rhetoric surrounding the virus has tailed off - perhaps due to the more prevalent acceptance that it is with us now and we have to learn to live with it. Not throw our arms up in the air and wail 'Oh, woe is us' whenever there is an upsurge in cases.

Strangely, this has coincided with a noticeable downturn in the amount of airtime and headline space afforded the virus by our mainstream media. Who would have thought it, eh?

I don’t think this is the conspiracy you seem to be inferring.

COVID has become less impactful, as a consequence of vaccines first and then emergence of milder strains secondly.

As a result, surges in cases are less of an issue than they used to be, and so they receive less media attention and less panic.

You appear to be suggesting that the public response is a) overblown and that this is b) driven by the media.

I personally don’t understand this view. COVID has directly killed around 130,000-160,000 people and indirectly killed around 40,000-70,000 more.

I don’t think the media are driving panic or hysteria as you appear to be suggesting.

I think the media and public response, especially that of the “mainstream media” as you call it, was proportionate to the scale of the problem.

I don’t think this is the conspiracy you seem to be inferring.

COVID has become less impactful, as a consequence of vaccines first and then emergence of milder strains secondly.

As a result, surges in cases are less of an issue than they used to be, and so they receive less media attention and less panic.

You appear to be suggesting that the public response is a) overblown and that this is b) driven by the media.

I personally don’t understand this view. COVID has directly killed around 130,000-160,000 people and indirectly killed around 40,000-70,000 more.

I don’t think the media are driving panic or hysteria as you appear to be suggesting.

I think the media and public response, especially that of the “mainstream media” as you call it, was proportionate to the scale of the problem.
Not inferring any kind of conspiracy at all.

Just suggesting that without the media constantly fanning the flames, people have started to take a more pragmatic view and realise that the vaccines are doing the job that was intended of them.

I have no issue with the media reporting the facts, none whatsoever. The tone and language used, however, is a different story.

Not inferring any kind of conspiracy at all.

Just suggesting that without the media constantly fanning the flames, people have started to take a more pragmatic view and realise that the vaccines are doing the job that was intended of them.

I have no issue with the media reporting the facts, none whatsoever. The tone and language used, however, is a different story.

I’m not sure I agree that the media used an inappropriate tone or language though. If anything they seemed to be underplaying the severity, especially the right-leaning tabloids such as The Telegraph, whose coverage I thought to be extremely misleading.

With regards the media, I think it was a little naughty at times, but they are in the business of getting clicks / selling papers so was expected.

Pick any of the big killers in the UK, add daily briefings then add a death count with over blown headlines ( jumping on any little thing ) and I think the public would react like it did with Covid, with the issues that caused some issues to peoples mental health for example.

The big difference is we had to shock the public as we needed to slow down the spread asap, we didn't have time to mess around, as it was a new virus and we really didn't know how bad it would be, I feel we got off lightly, it had the making of being like 1918 all over again, I also think lockdowns and the fast roll out of vaccines played no small part in this reduced number, if we had ignored it would have been millions dead in the UK either by direct or indirect reasons imo.

So overall I think most of the actions were justified, if a little over the top sometimes ( talking about the media )

I think the medical experts played a crappy hand quite well, with just the odd misstep along the way.

I’m not sure I agree that the media used an inappropriate tone or language though. If anything they seemed to be underplaying the severity, especially the right-leaning tabloids such as The Telegraph, whose coverage I thought to be extremely misleading.

I think part of the problem was they used extremes, say a computer model said we could see 250k to 1.2 million could die, the headline would be " experts say 1.2 million to die! "

thats the issue I had at the time, headlines to grab clicks and sell papers, which became the facts, even if the article didn't really match up with the headline.
Same with vaccine side effects and government policy.

Last edited:
I agree with you about the likes of The Telegraph - never read it, mind you. Daily Mirror is more my cup of tea - but we'll have to agree to disagree about the inappropriate tone and language used by a hell of a lot of the media, both printed and broadcast..

How many times was an article posted on here with an attention-grabbing headline full of doom and gloom and an 'Oh my God' style accompanying post, only to find that if you actually read the article it was nowhere near as bad as what the headline was suggesting and that it was actually referencing the worst possible case?
I think part of the problem was they used extremes, say a computer model said we could see 250k to 1.2 million could die, the headline would be " experts say 1.2 million to die! "

thats the issue I had at the time, headlines to grab clicks and sell papers, which became the facts, even if the article didn't really match up with the headline.
Same with vaccine side effects and government policy.
^This.

Last edited:
I agree with you about the likes of The Telegraph - never read it, mind you. Daily Mirror is more my cup of tea - but we'll have to agree to disagree about the inappropriate tone and language used by a hell of a lot of the media, both printed and broadcast..

How many times was an article posted on here with an attention-grabbing headline full of doom and gloom and an 'Oh my God' style accompanying post, only to find that if you actually read the article it was nowhere near as bad as what the headline was suggesting and that it was actually referencing the worst possible case?

^This.

That’s a fair point that you and @chrismisterx make. Those headlines did appear.

In my cynicism I felt those headlines were setting up “the scientists” for a fall, but you could also read it the other way and see then picking the worst case for clicks.

Unless we are going to re-write history, it was bad, very bad for a long time and despite the hysterical headlines, the severe rules and the general "warning, danger of death" approach - we still had a significant minority who couldn't decide whether to stick their head in the sand and ignore it, or up their own arse and claim it was all fake. We had a political system desperate to claim they had 'won' while the battle raged on in the background and that led to incredible decisions such as prematurely dropping all restrictions in medical settings.

To be blunt I hope the mainstream media is as 'bad' should we ever be in this position again, bad enough for us to get through it with as little damage. The general population is badly tainted with a proportion of people with little commonsense and and, in a crisis, an IQ that is insufficient to assist society withstand it. Had this virus been more potent and more easily transmissable we would have been looking at deaths of biblical proportions as we are, generally, too stupid and anti-establishment to do what is necessary for our common good.

Always happy to provide a link if your Google is broken.

Deaths rising. Go figure.
Why have a dog and bark.😉

Within 28 days of a positive test. Or due to covid?
You’ve clearly not understood the chart. Infections are going up and then down and then up and then down. It’s reasonably likely that they’ll go up again in a few months time.
Yeah i seen that, but dropping now. Par for the course from now on, mini waves, i was just stating it never gets a mention anymore in daily life. Can only mean one thing, good to see.

Last edited:

Back